Carb cleaner | FerrariChat

Carb cleaner

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pma1010, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Must be the season what with all Mike's posts.

I've received my package of DCNFs. They need a good clean. I have the spray stuff in the aerosol can. What do people use? In his book, Bishop talks about [a bucket of] "carb dip" in revered tones. Is it still around?

Philip

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Note there is a difference between Carb Cleaner and Carb Dip (the high strength product). Bishop's book has a couple pages on Carb Dip.

Nasty stuff. Most large auto parts stores will carry or can order the Berryman product. It's becoming less common, though, because of its composition. (I looked at my bucket...Two chlorinated organics, mixed xylenes, a chromium compound, and ethyl benzene!)

To use it, you have to completely dis-assemble the carb, as eventually you have to rinse all the cleaner out. You can't, to my knowledge, use the high strength carb dip on an installed unit.

3. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Toluene can be used as a carb cleaner, easy to get any Ace hardware has it, BUT the carb has to be totaly disassembled as it will ruin any plastic or rubber parts, do not use on the bearings

4. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I have had good luck using the cans of CRC Brakleen brake cleaner - be sure to get the green cans, as these are non-chlorinated and won't take the skin off of your hands, or the lining off of your lungs. You will need at least one can per carb for an average-gunked carb.

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Peter: Winter *is* the season! When else? :)

Pierce Manifolds disassembled the carbs and put all the pieces in an "ultrasonic" cleaner. Came out nice--no solvents needed. They don't like the solvents.

Another option I've heard of is "shelling" the carbs with whatever projectile du jour...

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Ground up pecan shells, simialr to what some people use to clean shell casings before reloading. Won't do a very good job on heavy gunk and might be hard to get out of the small passages. Personally, I'd stay away from it.

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I used the hard core professional carb cleaner. Typically 1/2 to 1 hour in an agitated carb cleaner gadget is used, but I was told to be conservative on expensive F*carbs and only use 20 minutes "just in case". A few thick deposits of dried gasoline residue weren't completely removed. Oh well. So what.

FWIW, I used to do this a lot many years ago. Back then, carbs (and engines in general) would accumulate deposits of 'who knows what'. When I disassembled my carbs, the innards were sparklingly (sp?) clean. As in brand new. Must be all the detergents in modern gas, I guess. Other than cosmetic issues with the outsides, I doubt that cleaning was really necessary.

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Also, even after using carb cleaner blow some compressed air through the carbs. Many over look this but it is important to get out the gummed up gas that could be in the small orifices of the carb.

9. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Ahhhh... Eau de Berrymans, the car nut's cologne. The aromatic equivalent to sheep dip or cleaning out your fraternity's grease trap during pledge hazing.

If you use it, be sure to swath every exposed part of your body in plastic garbage bags. Even your head (poke out holes for your eyes). Put those asbestos-abatement guys to shame. If you get even a drop of it on you it will smell for days. Nothing washes it off. You can rub the spot with fresh garlic and the smell will overwhelm the garlic.

To clean your carbs, find a park nearby with picnic tables, running water and barbeques. After being properly attired, clean the carbs following the directions on the Berrymans can. Bring along a bucket and liberally rinse the parts, then place them in plastic zip-lock bags. put the bags in progressively larger bags - 5 or 6 layers should do.

When done, strip off all the plastic bags, duct tape and heavy rubber gloves, as well as ALL of your clothes, underware and shoes. Place them in the bucket and burn it all in the barbeque. No fire starter needed here - it will go up in a toxic flash.

Run naked to the nearest dumpster and dispose of the used Berryman's can clandestinely. Understand, the dumpster now qualifies as a Toxic Fund Supersite.

Drive home (preferably in a friend's borrowed car or a rental). Place the bags of cleaned parts in an open area where they can air out for a few days. Destroy all evidence (sales receipts, etc.) that you ever bought the Berrymans. Did I mention to wear a disguise or buy it in a car parts store a few towns away?

Take two or three hot showers using Lava soap or Brillo to remove a few layers of skin. Pay particular attention to under and around your fingernails.

Crawl into bed quietly to avoid waking your sleeping significant other. Don't worry, she will immediately awake, sniff twice and say "What is that SMELL?" You'll be sleeping on the couch for the next couple of nights, Bub. But rest easy, children and pets will not bother, or even approach you. Besides, sleeping on the couch puts you closer to the front door, which you can answer when the EPA agents come a' knocking.

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks All. Mike F., first class. Ought to be a "post of the month" or equivalent qualifier!

11. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    "Take two or three hot showers using Lava soap or Brillo to remove a few layers of skin. Pay particular attention to under and around your fingernails"

Ha ha ha! That's so true! When showering one can substitute lava soap for Ajax, Comet, scrubbing bubbles or whatever else is underneath the bathroom sink!

12. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mike, before I commit my next major crime I'll have to read your latest books, "The Criminal's Bible" or your other N.Y. top ten best seller "10 Easy Steps in Creating the Perfect Crime" by Mike Florio" to insure anonimity.

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've found that paint remover does a pretty good job cleaning up any metal engine part, you can soak them as long as you like, then a quick hit with a bush of scotchbrite if anything is left. Gloves and face shield (not just safety glasses) are a must, the stuff burns if it touches skin. Aluminum wheel cleaner will make the aluminum stuff look like new after its been cleaned in the paint remove.

14. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Methylene chloride is a key ingredient in both Carb Dip and Paint Stripper.