Bought a new car a few days ago>> | FerrariChat

Bought a new car a few days ago>>

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Nibblesworth, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Well, not new, quite used actually, but new to me.

It's a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It's fully loaded w/everything possible in that year. It's got a great coat of paint, Torreador red, and the finish is very nice for a 7 year old car.

It's got 196,000 miles on it. Does not leak any oil, does not burn any. I've put a thousand miles on it since purchasing it, and my oil level is the same as it was when I put new synthetics in it right after purchase. The tranny does not slip, nor does it shift hard. The PO installed a tranny cooler when be bought the car, and it had saved the tranny from an early death. Had the fluid changed right at purchase, and the old fluid, which was probably 60,000 miles old, looked like it had been put in yesterday.

The car runs beautifully. I get about 26mpg on the freeway, and about 17 on the streets. Two cats are clogged and one O2 sensor is bad. even with a clogged exhaust, the thing still puts out a grand amount of power. It's got the SOHC 4.6l modular V8, a simply FANTASTIC engine in my opinion. I'm replacing the cats and O2 next month, as well as installing an H-pipe, some free-flowing muffs, and turn-downs. Should pick up about 20hp from the swap from single to dual exhaust, and I'll regain some lost HP from the clogged cat.

Best of all, I paid $1800 bux for it. I know these engines well, and based on my impressions of the motor so far, I'll get at least another 60,000 miles out of the bastard before anyting major happens.

I love this damn car. I love panther-platform cars; Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Towncars. Big, solid, very well built, and nice, smooth engines. Quiet as hell inside, even at 80mph. No squeaks, rattles, groans, or other annoying noises. I would have guessed that the car had 50,000 miles if I hadn't seen the odo.

What a damn nice car. I know a lot of you probably turn your noses at lowly domestic RWD sedans, but damnit I love them. Puts a grin on my face everytime I drive it.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, Nibbler, congrats on the car. What do you think about my idea of an Enzo Cadallic to drive from Tejas to Pebble Beach this Summer?

Dr. "California Dreaming" Tax

4. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Living room on wheels!

I too like those big boats (especially the Marauder version). The Grand Marquis are quite popular (#1 selling luxury car) around my parts, for obvious reasons :D Ill give you one hint.....blue hair!