jacks and jackstands | FerrariChat

jacks and jackstands

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve Darrah, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    This may have been reviewed before, but I was unable to find the info. I need to jack up my '01 550, place a jackstand under the car, and remove a wheel for some work. I have an 8 ton jack to raise the car. Where should I place the jack to raise the car and still have room to place the jackstand in the proper location? Do I need to use a block of wood on the jack and jackstand to protect the under side of the car at the contact points? Thanks for the help.

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Place the jack as close to the jacking location, but obviously, with enough room to place the stand there afterwards. For jacking location, choose an outer frame member or tube, do not place under any flat expanse of sheet metal (could put the jack through the floor boards!).

A piece of wood is recommended to protect the finish of the chassis and keep from damaging it. Make sure its very secure!

3. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    please clarify for me? the 8 ton jack i hope is not a bottle jack, is it?

4. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    Joeyy-not sure what you mean by "bottle jack." I had a misprint on my original post-the jack is a Craftsman 3 ton floor jack, not 8 ton as stated. Thanks

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

not a 550 guy but I use a puck on my jack – although I use a special low frame jack with rubber pick-up - I like the puck because it provides better ability to find a center position within the lifting point avoiding any chance of damaging the underbody

you find a picture in http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077

6. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    This is a general comment, as I've not done this on a 550 and can only speak to several other sports cars, but you generally need to make sure that you don't only lift one corner and flex the whole car as there might be a risk of cracking the windshield.

I use the factory side jacking point on my 308 GTB QV, which is just ahead of the rear tire. This lifts the whole side of the car without flexing the car or damaging the large windshield. I also slip a block of wood inside the U-slot so that my rubber padded low profile floor jack will not bend the U-slot.

I have found that it is great to lift the whole side of the car in one shot. I put two jack stands under the lifted side of the car (fore and aft) and then let it down on the jack stands before working. Sometimes I go over to the other side and lift that side as well with the floor jack and another two jack stands, and then I have the whole car in the air.

The 550 side jacking point should be just behind the front tire due to the front engine weight distribution, as on my S2000.

Kind Regards, Chris