What to do for leaded fuel? | FerrariChat

What to do for leaded fuel?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by audionut, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Hi all, first post on this new site, and thanks for all the continuing info! I am wondering what you do for leaded fuel. I have heard that even the additives are not sufficient and cause significant and premature wear on valve guides. Any thoughts, experience and suggestions?

With temperatures hitting lows of -22F, I have been dreaming of all the rides I'll be doing the moment the temp weather breaks! Best of the New Year to all.

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Well I guess we will need to guess what kind of car you have and what year. I have a 77 308 and don't need leaded gass and I think you can go back to the late 60's before you have a problem. I driver my car in cold weather as long as the salt is off of the road.

3. audionut

audionut Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Adrian Low
    Sorry, should have been more specific. I have a '73 Dino 246, and am also negotiating for a Daytona.

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I've been running a 1972 365 GTC/4 on unleaded for 5+ years without problems.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Your car and a Daytona don't needed leaded fuel.

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Does a Dino not need leaded fuel because it has manganese bronze valve seats?

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Most F cars have hardened valve seats or they can easily be installed.
    My P4 runs on unleaded with no problems. So does my MK-IV and my Lola T-70. My Duesenberg also runs fine on unleaded. (In the 30ies gas didn't have lead and was about 60 oct.)

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have the engine out of my Dino now. We're fitting hardened seats, but without them I'd have to run 94 octane. I'm doing the valve seats because we're doing a major rebuild. I would not have it done as a single repair.

There was a long discussion on ferrariowners.com about leaded vs. unleaded, vs. additives, it gave all kinds of formulas for boosting octane with chemicals you can get at the paint/hardware store. I talked this over with a vintage race mechani/driver I know who said, "sure, go ahead and mix up a batch, just be sure to measure carefully, then drink it, because if you put it in your car, you are bound to eventually wreck the paint around the filler, get the formula wrong..." he felt it would be better just to end my suffering by drinking the stuff. Also noted that some over the counter octane boosters worked, but you'd have to buy quite a bit which would cost more than buying race fuel.

He said most speed shops sell race fuel. Get a 5 gallon can, buy some 100 octane, and mix it with your regular fuel. Formula, according to him was simple, mix 5 gals 94 octane with 5 gals 100 octane, get 10 gallons 97 octane. (They won't just fill your car as it is for race, not street, use.) Although in Pennsylvania, some Sunoco Stations sell 100 octane unleaded at a special pump thqat you can fill your car up with.)

That was his suggestion for getting enough octane into high performance cars that don't have hardened valve seats. Which the original Dino does not have, and which none of his 50's era race cars had.

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Any local airport will have 100LL (100 octane Low Lead) Avgas for sale. Look for one with a self service site on the ramp. The price is higher than Auto Gas -look around and compare prices.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I buy leaded 110 octane Union 76 fuel from a pump in town at the local Chevron wholesaler. They will not allow the fuel to be pumped directly into a licensed vehicle but will do so into a trailered race car. I buy it by the can for 5.00 a gallon and mix it 50/50 with 94 octane unleaded for my 240Z.

I have also heard of various solvents that can be used to boost octane one of which I thought was Naptha and another Toluene but don't quote me on that.

Your best bet is to find a Union 76 or Sunoco wholesaler for the proper mix of additives.

DJ

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Five bucks a gallon!! Gee, I thought my Avgas was high at $2.25..

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It is properly blended, leaded gas though.

DJ