TR high pitched whine from rt fuel tank area | FerrariChat

TR high pitched whine from rt fuel tank area

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by khayes, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    After about 30 minutes of driving I can hear a loud high pitched whine that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side fuel tank. It seems to be electrical because it oscillates when the blinkers are on and when the A/C compressor engages or when the radiator fans come on. The whine stops the instant the key is shut off. I can feel a high pitched vibration that feels to be the same pitch as the noise when I touch the passenger side rocker panel directly in front of the rear wheel.

Does this sound like the fuel pump is going bad or could it be an electrical problem like a bad connection somewhere? This started after having the 30,000 mile engine out service performed in December. I had the fuel guage sending unit replaced so that the guage would start working again.

2. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hey there Kelly & happy new year! I would start by opening the fuel door and sticking a funnel down the spout (or use an automotive stethoscope), then jump the pump relay and listen (or you can probably just have someone else start the car). I'm sure the experts on the board will know of another way to activate the pump. The bottom line is that you will need to activate the pump and listen to it to know if it's bad & go from there.

take care,
    Shan

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Ain't that a fuel pump?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Kelly -- here's how to "jump" the TR fuel pump relays (R & T) per Shan's suggestion (from an old thread):

...Another quick way to confirm that the fuel pump system is generally working (or not) on each side (everything except for the relay) is shown in the TR WSM -- (with engine off and key off) remove one of the fuel pump relays and connect the top center vertical female 30 terminal of the relay socket to the bottom center horizontal female 87 terminal on the relay socket with a short wire/jumper and the corresponding fuel pump should run (if everything else -- fuse, motor, connections, etc. -- is OK). Use a fairly large gauge jumper wire (like 16 ga or larger) since the current will be something like 8~10 A, and the circuit is always "hot" (even with the key "off") so don't let a free end of the jumper wire inadvertantly touch anything else...

5. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Hi there I have the same noise. Does it continue when the motor is off. There is a fuel pressure relief valve in this area which releases fuel pressure. This makes a whining noise when engine is hot and when engine is shut off. I understand it is nothing to worry about.
    regards Tony

6. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give this a try.

It takes about 30 minutes of driving before the noise will start up so I think I will warm it up before I try the proceedure.

The noise stops the instant the key is shut off. The engine dosen't even stop that fast.

The noise starts the instant the engine starts back up (after the noise has started the first time).

Assuming the fuel pump needs to be replaced does anyone have a ball park idea of what kind of expense that would be? I saw something recently where a fuel pump change out on a 512BB was about $2,500.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You can buy the exact TR Fuel Pump PN 121727 which is:

Bosch 0 580 254 947

at www.importeccatalog.com for $221.46 each retail. IMO you need to pay some premium over that (if the shop does the sourcing) + a reasonable couple~few hours labor (the guy's got to make a living) -- but that's a long, long way from $2,500.

If they tell you it's a $1,200 part from F, I'd go elsewhere. There's nothing special about this work or the parts compared to any K/KE-Jetronic-equipped vehicle. JMOs.

8. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I have a quote from a respected local F dealer for R&R of both pumps & filters that totalled ~ $2000 which includes a price per pump of ~$500.

I am going to post my DIY costs, but rest assured that WH is correct, it's much cheaper to do the fairly easy R&R yourself, and importec has the pump & filter. (change the filter, as well)

However, make sure that it's not something else, such as the oil cooler fan going bad.

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I do not think it is a fuel pump since it does not start right away. Usually the fuel pump is loudest when the car is first started and it is pushing the fuel to the engine, especially when there is not much fuel in the car. While I am not familiar with the TR, it may be the pressure relief valve since it occurs only after the car is warm. Please keep us updated.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato