stop light switch | FerrariChat

stop light switch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mikeg, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Doe anyone know how to change the stop light switch in an 85 mondial cab qv?

Does that entire silver casing above the brake padal come off or can you get in from under the steering column?

Thansk

Mike

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mike,

Looks the same as RHD cars, if that is the case it will take less that 15 minutes.

MW

3. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003

4. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    On my 83...
    The switch came out of the silver casting from under the hood. There's a funny looking white plastic nut that goes up under the dash on the inside where the switch comes through... it's a real pain to get back on. I didn't know about the plastic nut until I found it under the dash months latter. PM with a phone # and I'll try to explain how I got mine back on.

5. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    I had to replace mine on an 87 Mondial Cab. You do not have to remove the metal casting. There is a plastic nut behind the pedal that requires you to be a contortionist, but it can be done easily with a little patience (and a few choice words!!!). Unscrew the plastic nut, disconnect the 2 or 4 wires at the end of the switch (under the hood), measure how far in the switch is adjusted, unscrew the switch from the casting, screw in the replacement to just penetrate into the passenger compartment, then crawl in under the steering wheel and spend several frustrating tries to get the nut started, crawl back out and screw in the switch to approximately the same penetration as the old one, crawl back in and tighten the nut. It is EXTREMELY easier to enlist a helper, crawl in and hold the nut in the right spot and have the helper screw in the switch from the outside. Reconnect the wires and don't forget the check to make sure proper electrical operation.

Good luck!!!!

6. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks, I've learned to be patient working on my ferrari!!!
    Mike