Refinishing 308 GTS Black Fiberglas Tops | FerrariChat

Refinishing 308 GTS Black Fiberglas Tops

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave Bendl, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Has anyone refinished their top to the original black finish?
    Using the Original Ferrari V-8 book as a reference, it appears the original sheen is satin not glossy or a matte finish. Any recomendations for a primer and paint ?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dave I was just looking at the roof on my 328 yesterday and wondered about cleaning or refinishing, it has that gray/white look to it that black plastic exposed to sunlight gets over time. I presumed that these roofs have the black pigment in the gel coat ? do you reckon they are painted ? Can anyone else help us clarify this ?

3. swedautowks

swedautowks Rookie

Nov 29, 2003
    on my 308 i used wurth satin trim paint after cleaning the top and spoiler well and let it sit for a day or so inside...has been 6 months now and it still look great...

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    I have used plain old black lacquer spray paint on my 308GTSi top. It looks great and I have not had a problem. I did this 8 years ago! By the way, my car's top was and is quite glossy. That is the way it came from the factory when I bought it new.
    WilliamR

5. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Peajay,
    They were gelcoated as original. Gelcoat is a two part epoxy resin that is pigmented. Black does not hold up well from the sun. I was considering a gelcoat refinish kit as used on boats, but it may be just to brittle for the top. I would think a product containing a flex agent may be more appropriate.
    Dave

6. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I have heard Wurth products are very good. International Auto Parts Charlottesville, Va carries their product line. Did you use a primer?
    Dave

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Here are a couple of relevant links to old FChat archives where I discuss my targa top & spoiler restoration using Rustoleum's black vinyl paint. It's still looking good after almost 4 years.

These threads also contain several other opinions/tips. I thought I'd written up a more detailed description of my project, but maybe it's in the FerrariList archives:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/85860.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/205938.html

BTW, there are conflicting posts as to whether original finish was satin or glossy. I'd like to hear from Ferrari.UK as to what finish their replacement targa tops have.

8. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #8 Eric308gtsiqv, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very good suggestions thus far.

Another option would be to simply "recondition" these surfaces. Recently, my detail guy used Griot's Garage Bumper and Trim Reconditioner (Black) on my 308's targa top and spoiler and it turned out fantastic. It now has the glossy "gel-coat" appearance with a uniform black coating. Here's the link: http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=bumper

He said it took about 10 - 15 coats (since the surfaces were really soaking it in). He used about a 4" diameter round terry cloth style wax applicator pad to apply it (this worked better than the supplied small sponge applicator tip).

I must say that I was very pleased with the results, and it will greatly minimize efforts on my end of constantly having to apply "dressing" to these surfaces just to keep them looking glossy and fresh.

Here's a few pics I took over the weekend. Hopefully, they will show the results adequately...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #9 Eric308gtsiqv, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #10 Eric308gtsiqv, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #11 Eric308gtsiqv, Feb 2, 2004
  12. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like the idea of using the Griot's rather than needing to repaint, I will certainly give that a try. Thanks for the info !!

13. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Meguires has a similar product to the Griots reconditioner, but it will eventually come off. they work well on rubber because it is porous and can soak in the top is hard gel coat. the most permanent way is to paint it. the problem with that is you can't sand it very hard because you will sand down the texture. you have to use a scuff pad and a sandfix sanding past to give the surface tooth for the paint to stick. a good epoxy primer and a light coat of a quality urethane semi gloss black will give you years of hassle free service.

14. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Mike Charness had his painted to look like a GTB. Improves the lines of the car.

15. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    My top is fine and the black finish on it is great BUT, I would like to have it painted to match the car. Is this something the local paint shop can do. If you don't recommend this, why? I think the car would look much nicer having the hard top match the car. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sam

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Thanks. Of course, on a dark gray or black car, it wouldn't make as much of a difference...