348 Tubi vs 348 CHALLENGE Open exhaust | FerrariChat

348 Tubi vs 348 CHALLENGE Open exhaust

Discussion in '348/355' started by kenyon, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Do you get better noise and more BHP from a Tubi exhaust with out cats with straight pipes or is from a Challenge Open exhaust with out cats with straight pipes.

I am thinking of changing my tubi with straight pipes for this challenge exhaust on my 348 spider 1994 european model.

Any thoughts.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456516985

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Don't know if there was a increase in BHP using the 348 Challenge system, but I would guess so. The only place I know that still has them in stock is the Swiss importer - they have three, part number 147773. If you're interested I will give you contact numbers.

MW

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Funny,
    that is Bob's warehouse. This exhaust is Byron's exhaust. Well, at least it belonged to Byron's car at one point.
    I tried to order one for a 355 from Ferrari and they had them in stock.

Here is the clue. These are super loud exhaust. You have no idea how loud they are and if you are driving a Spider will NOT like it one bid. You need ear mufflers to be able to stand next to your car. If you do a lot of street driving you will get pulled over and will get ticketed. Ask Bob about his Key's ticket. :) He knows first hand. I believe that was with the further muffled exhaust that Byron has/had on his car.

There are race tracks that do not allow this exhaust on the track for noise, why in God's name would you want to drive that on the street.

4. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    I also have those LOUD Challenge pipes of my car....but mine is a TB so it's not that bad....I've used them on the steet but no tickets so far....the sound is wicked at higher RPM and sweet music for my ears....

Keep your TUBI - you might get tired of the Challenge sound after a while...If you live in a busy city with lots of stop and go traffic, it will probably get annoying, quickly....But if live outside the city limits and use the highways mostly, you'd love it and everyone else would too...

Put your Tubi back on when it's time to pass inspections....That's what I do here in NY....Enjoy ;)

VK

5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    My Tubi reads 105 decibals at 2500 rpm at present.

6. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I'm in the same position as VK- have a 348 Challenge with the straight Challenge exhaust (and no cats), and it's loud. I drive my car on the street to and from track events, and you need to keep the revs down in order to avoid being too conspicuous (not to mention losing your hearing). It's fine with a helmet on, but otherwise it wears thin pretty quickly.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well there is some controversey. If you mean Byron's exhaust as in our Byron with the wrecked 348C No it is not. B' exhaust and every 348C exhaust I have seen has the resonator pipe in the crossover pipe. I think this was a home made unit or I'm not sure what. The crossover is a straight pipe with no resonator and the tip end is too polished, and their are too many welds and seams from the inlet turning to the tips. A real 348C exhast does not look like this. Also you won't get tickets with this exhaust. Cops have no clue about Ferraris. In the street all you do is play dumb and tell the cop this is how the car is. You show them where it says Ferrari on the crossover pipe and they shrug their shoulders and go away. It works for several 348C owners. Also this is the exhaust to die for. I track my car only and it is the only way to go. Some tracks close to homes have sound limits. Laguna Seca is 92db and someitmes they up that to 102db. So you can;t run this exhaust there. But I have never had a problem ant any other track in the worst state in the USA Kalifornia. So it is not that loud. People make it out to be some monster. Many people do like the toyota camary quiet sound of the 355 and 360. personally If I can go fast ont he track at least I can sound cool.

8. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys,
    That's not my exhaust... if indeed it's Bob Z's exhaust, it is a modified ansa exhaust used for the challenge series. Billybob is right... the original factory challenge exhaust has a resonator between the two exhaust pipes and mounts directly to the car... this one looks stainless steel to me.

Mine may be up for sale soon... right now it is "dirty" but not damaged. Will know in a few days/weeks.

B.

9. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Byron,

Let me know if you sell your exhaust and I may buy it..

Dave

10. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Byron,

Have you got all your carbon fibre stuff done on your 348 yet from Valance ??? or was it by someone else ??

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Justin,
    I don't have everything done on my car yet... however, that may be moot at this point:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6267

Davey_jones, there are lots of people asking for that exhaust right now... to be fair, if I do get a chance to sell it, I was thinking that I might just put it out on ebay with no reserve and announce it here in the general section... besides, I'm not sure how much they are selling for on the secondary market, so I wouldn't even know what to ask for it!

- Byron

12. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Sorry here, not nice photos.
    All the best of luck...

13. davey_jones

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    byron-
    sounds fair.....to the highest bidder!!

14. davey_jones

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WOOOOOWWWW !!!!!

Ok, with all this talk about the 348 challenge exhaust being tooo loud,
    I pulled the tubi exhaust off my car. Their are no cats so the only
    thing left was the test pipes.... All I can say is don't knock it
    until you've heard it! I'm still LMAO. It's brutal (but beautiful) !!!
    Not to mention it totally changes the character of the car.

I'm tempted to take it out but there's just to much snow and salt on the road right now.

For all you curious folk , I'll post some video tomorrow when I get my dvd camera working.

sweeeeet !

d