Bedding-in / Running-in Carbon Breaks | FerrariChat

Bedding-in / Running-in Carbon Breaks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thomas_b, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

no information in the manuals I have - dealer did not know any special requirements - did not contact F

I used the Challenge instruction "Running-in Break Disks and Pads" - figured it would not hurt and it makes me feel better - my assumption is that it takes much longer to reach maximum efficiency

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Mercedes use carbon ceramic brakes on the F1 safety car limited edition. I fitted up some as a swap over.

There were no special instructions there either, so I just recommended to build heat slowly until the full thickness of pads and discs have had a thorough heat cycle, including cooling, then use as normal. They felt as good as steel brakes when cold, and to be honest, no better than steel brakes when warm. Hasn't been on track though.

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Here is my take on this after thinking about it and searching manuals:

- a bed-in procedure mates pads and rotor; i.e. creates surface compatibility – I would expect that this takes longer with carbon disks

- bed-in also changes the chemical structure of the material, i.e. for Carbon Brakes it burns off chemicals and moisture from the resin at the surface (guess)

I also found the procedure in the CS manual. I have attached the section about pad bedding-in as JPEG (same for disks & pads)

The SC manual states also: After replacing the pads a second time, replace the disk too!!

I also looked into the P GT2 manual, which states that Carbon breaks require a longer bedding-in period. The also have a section about wear patterns – disks have to replaced if they have edge damage or connected friction surface damage > 1cm**2. Small surface damages may show up after a long run / heavy load but don’t make disk replacement necessary.

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    my eyes aren't good enough to read the JPG you posted. here's what i got on breaking in the carbon brakes on the stradale from a friend of mine who has a friend at ferrari:

the brakes are bedded before the car is delivered. No need to do it again when you receive the car. once the brakes have been ‘cured and the resin deposited onto the disc all is ready.

but, here is the procedure used:

Brake 40 to 50 times from about 60Kph with a 2 second press of the pedal. No ABS intervention is allowed and create about .3 G force. Between each application allow 15 seconds of cooling down for the brakes.

Then brake hard from 200 Kph to 40 Kph with ABS intervention. Then allow 2 Km of cooling at 60 Kph. Repeat this a total of 4 times.

Then drive for 3Km without braking to cool brakes again.

When ever heavy breaking has been used such as a track day session never stop the car without cooling the brakes.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    ..........pheww. Buyers of used stradales beware! Imagine the costs involved if you're not happy with your brake feel, and want to try another set to see if the last was bedded properly by the mechanic when he changed them....

In fact, what is Ferrari service policy when it comes to replacing the carbon brakes.....is the mechanic to bed the brakes, or does the service dept instruct the owner.......Malcolm?? I'll enquire myself too.

With steel challenge brakes, bedding has a greater effect on life, rather than actual performance. Not sure about carbon.

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    well sticking to the procedure you have to do it on a race track in the US - not likely that a dealer does this

the CS breaks actually started to work at around 500miles for me - they are fantastic if the are hot - I find them equal to the Modena breaks during the wet/cold weather we have now and slow driving

7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    whilst running the mountains in the CS yesterday i noticed a no brake or slick brake feel, quite familiar to me as unbedded carbon ceramic brakes in my GT2's.

i read what you said about factory bedding but mine clearly needed it. i did my GT2 based repeated slows riff -- similar to what Thomas and Rick said above and the problem cleared up... car has about 500 miles, too

in GT2's sometimes one's bed would go off, for me ususally caused by heavy braking downhill when the brakes were cold [i have a down mountain section first thing on the way to work]. are CS brakes similar in that regard?

any more input on managing CS brakes or my issue above would be appreciated