Computers for 308. | FerrariChat

Computers for 308.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    A couple years ago,I had a problem with one of the two computers for my '81 308. These are the ones that control the cylinder banks,located in the Drivers side rear of the car. My car started "Backfiring" occassionally,and running rough. Also,the Cats were getting overheated due to too much unburned fuel getting in them. I parked the car,right away until it could be towed in for service. Luckily,I had it repaired immediately,and there was no damage to the Cats or anything else. But,now I have 2 computer "Brains" One of which is still good,(I replaced both of them) and the other needs work. Is there anywhere that I can have these "Overhauled",and possibly,"tweaked" to enhance performance? I once saw an ad,I believe it was in either my Pilota ,or Prancing Horse. For someplace in England(?) that Modified the computers in 348 and newer cars. But,not 308's. So,does anyone know of anywhere that can do this to these? Or,anywhere that rebuilds them? They were about $1500.00 each,so,worth getting fixed,I think...? To either keep as spares. Or,performance enhanced. Or,? Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Iwas calling parts suppliers a couple of years ago about the digiplexes and, if I'm not mistaken, some had refurbished ones for sale. I think that Dennis Mc Cann (sp?) or George Evans in Ohio had some. They could probably direct you to whoever refurbished them.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    call TRutland--there are quite a few digilex's laying about there--also watch ebay--i sold mine last year on ebay for about 150 i think

4. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are these located at the far right of the "trunk" located (hanging) under a metal plate held down with 4 bolts? Saw two things that said "expensive" all over them today.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks,guys. Mine were in the very far Left of my trunk,under a plate. Yes,they should be painted Gold...:) Yeah,I was hoping that I could find somewhere that could "modify" them,some how,some way,to get even the slightest extra bit of performance out of my car. But,being 1981,computers in cars were somewhat primitive,I suppose. Not like in todays car where you can hook up a computer (lap top) and program in Air, Fuel,etc... depending on how the Weather is ! And get optimum performance out of them. I'd rather hold onto them as spares,if I can get them repaired,and can't get them Modified.

6. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Would you mind posting a pic of the computers? I only saw the sides of mine - did not want to yank on any connections I was not familiar with.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I don't think they can be modified at all. There are just for ignition advance not for the FI system.