mondial "check System" lights | FerrariChat

mondial "check System" lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mikeg, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an 85 mondial cab qv witht the "check System panel at the shifter.

When the parking light switch is turned on, the yellow warning light comes on.
    ALso, when the brake is hit, the yellow light comes on as well.

I have changed all the bulbs to insure matching numbers from owners manual, cleaned all the connections, and still it happens.

When I turn on the headlights, it does not happen.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I am having a similar problem Mike, but I haven't really taken any time yet to diagnose it.

My '85 Mondial QV Cab has the yellow light on when the headlights are turned on, or the parking light switch is on. I do NOT have any problem with the brake.

I've checked my bulbs and verified they are ok... One license plate light was out, but after replacing still have the problem. Haven't cleaned the connections yet.

Let me know if you figure out anything, their may be some commonality between the problems.

Karim

3. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    When you start the car, does the large green light come on( this is below the ten individual lights), or does the large yellow light come on?

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Have you checked your wiring diagram? I would start there. Look all the circuits that the light is connected to and work backwards.
    I don't know about you guys, but unless it's something obvious, the "hit or miss" approach to diagnosis usually drives me crazy.

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I get the green light. I assume It means self-test has passed.

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I still have to locate a wiring diagramm. I've looked at the 308/328 one but the Mondial is subtly different.

Hit or miss in this sense is actually the way to go. The time it takes to check and/or replace bulbs is insignificant compared to ripping apart the car to check wiring harnesses and pulling sensor panels.

If you luck out replacing a bulb its great. If not, a few wasted minutes isn't that big of a deal.

But, in general I agree with you, hit or miss isn't the way to diagnose cars. Computers yes, cars no.

7. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    When I hit the key, the yellow bar lights up....

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    OK, with the lights off and parking light off when you first put the key in and turn it to power on (notch before start) does your panel light green?

9. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Hi,

No it does not come green...

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    That's one thing that doesn't match up then.

About the brake light flashing with the pedal: If it happens ONLY when the lights are on than I also had this problem. It was cured with a new brake switch, the old one was the wrong part #. If you also have this symptom and want I can look up the part # that was used to fix that particular problem with my car.

The only warning light I get now is the yellow "lights" one which I will soon begin to troubleshoot.

What I have learned about "lights" warning systems in other makes of car (can't find info on the Ferrari panel) is a circuit that compares amp loading between the right and left bulbs in a particular circuit, such as brake lights or parking lights. If the amp loading is different by a threshold amount it will trigger the warning. So, if the right bulb is blown the left side will draw more current than the right (which would be 0) and light the warning.

If the lights appear to work, grounding problems could change the amp draw. Or, the panel's circuitry itself could be broken. Hopefully, not the latter, as I have read it is unobtanium or close to it.

11. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    HI,

I was going to change the stop switch next..I have a parts manual so I think I can get the correct number..

Thanks for the help...lets keep plugging until we knock this one off!

Mike

12. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    When you turn the key to the on position, prior to starting, the check control system will automatically perform check. Check control system consists of: Display unit & circuitry, the electronic unit( located under passenger foot rest), and the peripheral branch sensors. for correct level readings, the car must be horizontal. (3)items,#8-failure in stop lights or related circuit,#9 failure in outside lights( front & rear marker lights & license plate),#10 warning light for insufficient freon, are only checked when the brake pedal is depressed, lights are on, and air conditioning activated.
    Green light will appear in case of no failure. Light goes out when engine started.
    Red light or Yellow light activated in case of (1)or more failures. The failed item will be identified by the corresponding small red light on any of the ten items.
    The red light indicates a failure in items 1-5
    The yellow indicator indicates a failure in 6-10
    In the Mondial QV, the brake warning light checks also the stop switch on the brake pedal( note not interchangeable w/Mondial 2-valve). In addition, it also checks the intensity of the bulb in the instrument panel.

When the light are on, in addition to warning light being lit( small ten red), the main display will also light up in area with respective yellow or red lights.

13. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    "When the parking light switch is turned on, the yellow warning light comes on."

Console parking light switch ON, ignition key OFF = green dash “P” ON, 2 front white parking lights ON, 2 rear red parking lights ON (upper 2 bulbs only).

Console parking light switch ON, ignition key ON = green dash “P” ON, 2 front white parking lights ON, 2 rear red parking lights ON (upper 2 bulbs only), orange warning light ON. (I think it’s telling you not to drive around with the parking lights on.)

"ALso, when the brake is hit, the yellow light comes on as well."

The Mondial has 4 break light bulbs, and they all have to match (and be the correct #).

See here:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3955

14. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Here is my shameless plug for Mondial items for sale( as I sold my 84 QV cab recently):
    a) Factory Service Manual
    b) Factory Cockpit cover
    c) Factory sales brochure along with (2)FNA sales brochures
    d) Air box assembly

If interested in any items, send an e-mail or PM.

15. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey

what kind of shape is the cockpit coven in? and how much?

Mike

16. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Cockpit cover is in excellent shape. When I sold the car, the price the buyer's representative and I agreed on did not include a number of items. I was/am amazed the buyer was willing to let the cockpit cover go as I always used it, rather than put the top up every time I was at the marina, my office, or at a restaurant.
    Price is $500 or best offer....I have only seen (1)other advertised, and that was $1,500 for a new OEM one. I do not know of anyone that is selling reproductions

17. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    If anyone with a Mondial that has the annunciator panel next to the shift lever (QV's and early 3.2's) could spare 5 minutes it would be a great help!

I need a little help from someone with a known good car to help me diagnose my "lights" warning light that stays illuminated.

What I have done already is check the bulbs which are OK. I pulled some fuses to see if I could isolate which light circuits are causing the warning to trip and have met with some diagnostic success.

I have some weird behavior and just wanted to check against someone else's car to see what they've got. It involves pulling three fuses and checking which lights on the car are affected by the fuses.

Here is the test setup:

Put the key into the ignition and turn it to on. Twist the headlights switch and lower to raise the main lights.

Your car should not have the "lights" warning on, mine does.

Now, go to your fuse panel in the front of the car and remove the plastic cover.

Here are my questions:

1. Looking at the top row of fuses and locating the rightmost fuse, count 8 fuses from the right (to left), the eighth fuse from the right should be labeled: A16 Fog and Panel Lights. When I pull the fuse the following happens:
    All four side marker lights go off, R&L rear bottom bulbs off, R&L rear license plate bulbs off, R&L rear internal trunk lights off
    What happens to your car? (which lights go off, and does it trigger the "lights" warning light)

2. 9th fuse from right labeled: A5 Park Lights
    When I pull the fuse:
    R Front parking light off, L rear top bulb out
    What happens to your car? (which lights go off, and does it trigger the "lights" warning light)

3. 10th fuse from right labeled: A5 Park Lights (also park lights)
    When I pull the fuse:
    L Front parking light off, R rear top bulb out

Some of my above results seem weird that's why I want confirmation from a known good car.

I have been able to get the "lights" warning light to go off under the following circumstances:

Pull Fuse A16 Fog and Panel lights and either A5 Park lights fuse.

If I pull A16 and have both A5 Park lights fuses in then the warning light still comes on.

Any other config and the warning is on.

My hunch is some kind of reversed wiring. But I need your results to help narrow that possibility down.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

18. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Well, I figured out the "lights" warning light. Their was a very slight variation in intensity of the right rear marker light from the other marker lights. I cleaned the connections and got the bulb to look like the other ones (read -- draw as much current) and voila the warning light went out.