ferrari 246gt or lamborghini lp400 | FerrariChat

ferrari 246gt or lamborghini lp400

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ontogenetik, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    both in delectable condition, to be owned for 1-3 years, driven 5-10k miles/year

which would you purchase, reason why?
    thank you.

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have never driven either of these cars. I don't know about how difficult it is to maintain these cars. Both are beautiful. But, even considering all other issues, the decision is simple for me--and that would be the Countach! Keep in mind I am just 22 and this choice is based on pure fantasy.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Countach, no doubt.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Having driven and worked on both, I would choose the 246. The 246 is a light and well balanced car, not much power, but has good visibility and is a lot of fun to drive.

The LP400s is a brute of a car, big, noisy, hot. When you pull the door down, you feel like you're locked in some kind of weird '70s space capsule. Side and rear visibility are terrible, you have to accelerate into holes in traffic ahead of you. They aren't a whole lot of fun to drive unless you are on the right type of road, fast and open with big sweeping corners where you can let loose with the power.

They are very different types of cars, almost on opposite ends of the spectrum.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think he wants an early LP400, not an S.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Motob has some good points, the 246 is a sweet handling car, good for strafing corners & pretty whereas the Countach is a big brute, I call mine my Big Italian Dragster :) its a 5000QV later model with flares & wings. The Countach has a lot more power , handles ok but nowhere near as nice as a Dino

Countach is about shock value & probably will cost a lot more to maintain

7. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Hmmn, a Lamborghini - the Lamborghini - or a Dino. Has to be the Countach. Difficult to drive? Poor Diddums. '70's space capsule? Lovely!
    Don't get this wrong; it's important.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    With such an incredibly tough decision I would say to buy both...eventually. Buy one and then own the other as they are both such incredible cars that it would be a shame to know only one. Then the question becomes which one first? This is a very tough question that my answer would change day to day. Remember that they only made 150 lp400's so if you have your eyes on a good one, scoop it up as there are a lot of really choice Dino's out there and lp400's may be a little scarce when you want one.

9. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I'm suprised by how many people on a Ferrari website voted for the Lambo. Personally, I'd buy the 246. I love the look of that car.

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'd go with the 246 without hesitation... it sounds like way more fun... and way more enjoyable day-to-day. That matters a lot.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The only thing that matters IMHO is which one you want. These are totally different cars. You have to drive each one before you'd have a clue. The Dino is much more usable on a dialy basis but the CT is a much more intense/interesting sunday driver. How could anyone but you answer this question?

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    For me any car is a everyday car, that "sunday car" thing is stupid, do you know when are you going to die? I bet not, so buy what you want and drive it whenever you feel like it because the miles you don't drive today will be the missing ones when you pass on.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dude
    A TR/Dino/308 can be used as a daily driver. I put 115K on my TR, 85K on my 308. Drove em in the snow, in bumper to bumper NYC. I've driven CT's and IMHO they're not a daily driver nor would they be much fun as one. I've also driven many Dino's and feel they'd be fine as a daily driver.
    Before you talk about using a CT as a daily driver try it for a while.

"Every car is a everyday car"
    My P4?
    My MK-IV?
    My Lola?

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I can't see how anyone would not have a strong preference one way or the other. They are such different cars! Both cars will likely need a lot of work as great examples are few and far between these days. I expect the Lambo will cost a lot more in the long run.

But cost not withstanding, what do you want it for? A "Sunday" car is what the Lambo does best. "Hey, look at me!" Everywhere you go you'll draw a crowd. This is both fun and a royal PITA.

I'd venture to say the 246 is much more a driver's car. The attention will be from car people, not everyone. You can park it anywhere. Being a small, light car guy, I know I'd enjoy the nimbleness of the 246 a lot more than the seat of your pants acceleration of the Lambo; your tastes may differ.

15. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    It's interesting that you are attracted by two such different cars.

Like EVartanien, when I was 22 it would have been the Lambo, no contest.

But now, at 36, I'm not so sure - oh, except that if I chose the Countach my wife would refuse to travel in it, and probably refuse to speak to me too...

So I guess I'd still have the Lambo...

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im in a Dino fetish period now, so the Dino :)