Low oil pressure for 360 | FerrariChat

Low oil pressure for 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cwwhk, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    What is considered normal oil pressure at idle for a 360? Warmed up of course. My 360 Spider shows a little over 1 bar (about 15 psi) while the other will show 2 bar (about 30 psi). Asked the dealer in Tokyo and he said it's within normal range. Although at speed the pressure goes up to 6 bars, but I am still not convinced 1 bar at idle is normal. The 550 or 355 will show at least 2 bar at warm idle.

Thanks.

2. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Hi there,On 360 challenge cars that I have been involved with hot pressure at idle is usually 1 bar or less at idle,having seen the oil galleries of these engines(they are massive)it is understandable that pressure can drop at idle.As long as the pressure increases with engine speed I would not worry.However it may be best to have an oil pressure test carried out manually.This involves the dealer inserting a mechanical guage in to the oil pressure switch housing to measure the pressure,just to rule out any guage error on the car...

Regards Colin.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Some oil filters can get blocked, causing lower pressure. Also try using heavier oil......the 5w40 is very thin.

4. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for the info Colin. Will do next time car goes in for service. What concerned me was that maybe the mechanical tolerances on mine was on the loose side of the limit thus the low pressure at idle, but OK at speed.

I did consider using heavier oil, but thought better of it. If my situation is indeed normal then thicker oil than factory recommendation will only increase viscous drag and oil pump wear IMHO.

5. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    As well as oil filter contamination,I have also seen problems with the strainer that is fitted at the bottom of the oil tank,which filters the supply of oil to the oil pump,dead easy to check when doing oil change...

Regards Colin.