Has anyone seen a F50GT in Marlboro markings | FerrariChat

Has anyone seen a F50GT in Marlboro markings

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by model builder, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Does anyone have a picture of this car? I have seen a scale model of an F50GT with Marlboro sponsorship, car #5. I have never seen or heard of the real car. I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

Also I have seen references to a Red Bull 360GT Modena, car #73. Supposedly its from Daytona 2003 but I have never seen this car either. O don't think it was at Daytona unless it was scratched.

Any leads would help.

Thanks
    Ed
    Island Collectibles, Inc
    www.islandcollectibles.net

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Only three F50 GT were ever made and none of the raced for real. Too costly collector's items. So I would be surprised if one ever had any Marlboro sponsors on it.

Unfortunately there are people in the modelling world who just slam stickers onto cars and sell them to unknowing collectors. This sounds a lot like one of these cases.

3. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Model Builder,

I agree w/Tifosi12. The F50GT was never raced and there are only 3. I don't believe a car ever existed w/a Marlboro livery.

As to the #73 360 GT, it was not at Daytona in 2003. 2003 Rolex 24 Provisional Race Results

Greg A

4. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    However, there is a Red Bull sponosored car running in today's Rolex 24 @ Daytona.

2004 Entry List

Greg A

5. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Thanks Greg,
    It was mislables as the 2003 car but indeed it is a 2004. Thanks for the info.

I was fairly certain the F50GT never ran when new but I know one of the owners runs them at various events as I have some pics of it on the track, just never seen one with Marlboro markings.

If anyone knew for sure I figured it would be on this board.

Thanks again,
    Ed

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i read somewhere that the 3 people who actually got lucky enough to one had to agree not to race them ever. I belive it since Ferrari is known to have some very anal contracts sometimes.

7. warren0420

warren0420 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    the rules/contracts/regulations are only in order to preserve something so great! Enzos can be raced!

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not that I heard that, but I could imagine it: The F50GT wasn't that hot in comparison to the class it would have raced in and it would have been an embarrassment. True or false? Does anybody know?

9. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    wasn't the rumor that ferrari pulled the f50gt because it didn't compare to the MB? i've never heard a confirmation of this but it does sound like something they would do. back in that thread with the crashed f50gt i think someone touched on it but it was never concluded.

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I think it would have gone up against the Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR and the Porsche 911 GT1; anyone know how it compares to the two?