Does anybody recognize this car? | FerrariChat

Does anybody recognize this car?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bmyth-FDC, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Sunny and I were cruising around in Malibu today and saw this "quasi" 288 GTO re-body. It looked like somebody had started a re-body project, with some side air ducts and mirrors, badging, but pretty much stopped there.

Does anybody know the story behind this car? It would be neat to know if this project is on-going. :)

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Actually that could be a rare 208 is the lower side vent is original. The 208 had a smaller turbo 2.0 8 cyl. engine with the same bodies as the regular 308s --with the exception of the lower side vent, but were really only built for the european market...so it might not be original.

3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I doubt that that is a 208. It has U.S. side markers, GTO mirrors, and aftermarket Speedline wheels. Looks like someones own creation.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Good point about the US side markers...didnt notice those before! Im sure your right then.

5. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    I think that I have seen the car getting repaired at black horse motors.
    It is a 308 with added flares.

6. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I actually saw that car on PCH yesterday. It sounded fierce.

7. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    I actually tried to get some answers on this, but the resturant won't comment. oh well.

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I think it looks kinda mean! Nice! :)

9. lambo2ferraris

Mar 22, 2004
    This Ferrari is NOT a "Re-Body." It's a custom / prototype Shark Nose '78 U.S.A. legal 308 GTS w/ a Bruno Bori hi-po 11:1 pistons, 4 carb, 2 valve engine... no smog garbage, custom free flow exhaust, racing suspension, twin PIAA 900's driving lights behind the front grill (8 HID bulbs total- BRIGHT!) and 288 GTO style mods for serious function rather than just to make a "Fugazie" (fake) cheap "re-body"copy... It has the 208 / BB512 NACA ducts for rear disc venting / cooling, high perfromance EVERYTHING - and too much more to list here. It has seen a good amount of race track time and is maintained without concerns for cost of service or repairs. It is owned by a reclusive maniac originally from Malibu & dines regularly at Taverna Toni's- great food & smoking HOT girls for desert... He's been spotted lately looking to purchase a clean 412 5 speed 4.9 ltr. convertable cut car... word has it that he also owns a very fast low mile super clean black / tan '84 308 GTSi QV (Euro) legal CA car, that is receiving the trick new BLACKHORSE MOTORS supercharger ala Carl Steuer (The Ferrari MASTER) in L.A. His fabricator Chris "The Captain" Pickard just finished a prototype system that has made an otherwise bland 3 ltr. silver Mondial Cab. into a BEAST- BLOWER Systems w/ crank triggered ignition, intercooler, and all the goodies are ready to hit the market quickly, price is unbeatable, they are reliable & tested- super smooth easy bolt on, look right, sound right and are making great power, especially on the bottom end. Seems this guy is a believer in always having at least one running Ferrari should one be in the shop; makes sence since he drives the these cars almost everyday. He is also a counter-sniper on eBay, there are lots of pic's of the Lamborghini's on his page. BTW- I know the guy also owns a pristine black (rare 2 tone tan int.) Lamborghini that won 1st place best of class at the Concorso Italiano (Pebble Beach weekend) in Carmel / Monterey 2001. According to reliable sources... this guy is also having Carl from BLACKHORSE MOTORS build him a bullet-proof engine for the Lambo... it appears that Carl Steuer is the "GO TO GUY" when it comes to Ferrari / Lamborghini in the L.A. area. The work coming out of Blackhorse is of exceptional quality and prices are reasonable considering the exotic type of rolling automotive artwork involved... Word has it that this guy doesn't trust anyone but CARL to touch his cars and he's been know to go POSTAL / Legal on anyone who screws with his stuff... I hear that he has put several dentists into higher tax brackets as a result of people who have messed up his babies... He's known for having attorney's on retainer over all this nonsence... I saw him recently so I know that he's out of jail and was found innocent after the trial regarding the gun charges last year. I heard that one of his (non criminal) attorney's is the famous Beverly Hills entertainment lawyer / Ferrari collector Tristram Buckley. I know it to be a fact that Tristram got him a $20,000.00 CA$H settlement from a guy who damaged his Lamborghini- If he trusts Carl Steuer at Blackhorse Ferrari... CARL must truly be an honest & great Ferrari builder... PS- Carl is the only guy I've ever known to put a V12 Daytona 4.4 ltr. engine (transverse mounted) in a 308! He's also know to build awesome 355 / 360 conversions to make the ultimate 308 SLEEPER! Carl can be reached at (310) 815-1957 and his shop is at 1724 So. La Cienega at Airdrome between Pico & the 10 FRWY. There is also talk that Carl has a production deal for new show on The SPIKE Network? If true, you'll see amazing super performance exotics on the 1st network for MEN! Not to forget to mention... the front showroom is owned by Rick Black (Black on Black) and Rick is a very good NO B-S guy as well-

10. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    How romantic you are.............. cruising in Malibu in a lovely sunny day!!!

11. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Wow, are you Carl's PR man! Well, good to know we have someone that really is talented in LA.

12. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Uh...yea. A bit of info. Good to see you have an understanding on the smallest details.
    Nice job with the capital letters where needed.

13. grudk

grudk Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Manhattan Beach
    Carl is a good guy and an excellent mechanic/restorer.

He is working on dropping a 355 engine in a 308 now, and it looked pretty slick

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I feel like I just sat through an infomercial. I don't know weather to change the channel or spring for "Abs of Steel".

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Why is this thread being resurrected one year later to remind us that Carl is a good guy?