Now its official...the horsepower wars are out of hand! | FerrariChat

Now its official...the horsepower wars are out of hand!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 4sfed4, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    In the latest Car&Driver, they did a quick test of the new MB SL600.

Goodness gracious! An automatic transmissioned, convertible boulevard cruiser than runs high 11's @ 120 and 0-60 in 3.6 seconds?

As much as this sounds cool (it is :D ) I think one would get kicked off most drag strips with a drop top this quick.

I copied the article and it can be read here if anyone likes.

Horsepower is good :D

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1elpe/SL600.jpg

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    It does have a built in pop up roll bar which should suffice for some classes. I dont think the SL600 is about dragging though. More about massive power & luxury

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I remember the U.S. cars when I was in hi-school in the early 1980's. There were virtually no performance options other than stickers, wings, and bogus intakes. The American auto brochures rarely quoted horsepower figures for the engines. Do you remember the 85 mph clocks ? 55 mph was usually marked to stand out from the other #'s.

I have no problem with luxo-boxes equipped with necessary 180 mph clocks.

I have a remark about the current horsepower wars: Where do we throw lit matches ?

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmmm maybe time to convince the wifey she wants a Benzo instead of the 355!

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Even in the early to mid 90's only sportscars had over 300hp.

6. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow. Now I see why someone would pick a Sl600 over a SL55. For a while I wasn't sure.

I wonder how much faster the SLR will be?

7. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    With 617 hp, 575 lb-ft torque and weighing 3,800 lbs the SLR will most likely blow it's doors off.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Auraraptor my friend owns a local MB dealership in SE PA. If you are really serious about an SL600 I will be happy to see what I can do. BTW he is currently driving an SL55 and that car is amazing fast I can only imagine what the 600 must be like. Drop me a pm or email me at [email protected]
    Erik

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just wondering, is there a 'weakpoint' in the driving range? Does it slow down a bit say 120-150? I want to know if its a straight line car to 60, or sub 120 straight like car like the corvette. Are the gears THAT low? and if so, what is the top speed?

Teenferrarifan, thanks for the tip, I am going to seriously think about this and then let you know if I bite. The way it is that car puts most everything to shame, let alone the AMG.

One thing though, that car definately needs better brakes.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    From: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef09c4c

Thats an interesting assessment, considering the speed differences are quite large.

12. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The new SL600 is a great car. It doesn't feel drag-racing fast when you're driving it. It does feel smoooooooth. The biggest turn off for me was the excessive amounts of plastic both inside and out.

13. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yea, I would like more stitched leather for that much. In fact stitched leather over everything would be not nice, but is REQUIRED.

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Agreed on that!

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont believe one second. 4.6s ok , but 3.6s ? that would be as fast as a CGT , faster than a Murcielago ...

Anyway , C&D got 3.3 from the Ford GT...i guess they test all their cars downhill ..

Something is fishy.

16. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Lots of low end torque and an automatic trans can do wonders :D

In fact, every single one of the fastest guys in my Turbo Dodge club use automatics transmissions. When youve got alot of power out of the hole, a manual transmission just cant match a manual due to ease of launch and torque multiplication.

But, what you will notice (as is the case with the SL600) is that its quarter mile ET/mph does not "match" its 0-60 time in the same way as it would with a manual trans car with less low end.

The other thing that does sometimes happen with road tests is that the numbers get corrected to standard conditions. When that happens with turbo cars, sometimes the corrections are too generous. I am not sure of Car&Driver's correction policies but I do believe different mags use different corrections as the same cars tested reveal results that vary by enough to make me wonder.

For instance, Car&Driver tested a Challenge Stradale to a 12.4@115. Road & Track tested the same car to a [email protected]. 0.4 sec and 2.5 mph might not seem like much, but for anyone whos raced at a drag strip, its nearly a lifetime.

Same goes for the Ford GT. Car & Driver got an 11.6@128 and Road&track posted a [email protected].

In my mind, this makes me believe that Road &Track posts actual numbers, while Car&Driver posts corrected numbers. Road &Track always seems to post the ambient conditions at the time of their tests, while Car&Driver doesnt.

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    how does this bode for the 612?

18. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Ever heard of manufacturer's rebates?

LOL.

19. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    For those of you impressed by the SL600 and picking it over the SL55 AMG, imagine the upcoming SL65 AMG :D :D :D :D

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It could be as simple as C&D posts the numbers it gets on non-prepaired road surfaces, while R&T posts numbers from a sticky drag race track surface. But this leads into a diatribe about converting drag race times into real-world times (you know what happens on real roads, without burnouts......).......

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    like lafun2 said, wait till the sl65 comes out. rumor is bhp edges 700 !!! the current gearbox can't handle the power which is why they are coming out with the 7 gear auto at the end of 04. gotta say, this will blow the doors off many so-called sports cars out there, and doesn't bode well for the 612 or the 575