308 Grills - Covers - what should they be refinished with? | FerrariChat

308 Grills - Covers - what should they be refinished with?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LSU348, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My paint looks good on my 308 but the air scoop exits in the hood and behind the lights are a little rough and stand out as having not been restored. What do you patrons of fchat recommend for a coating/paint? Powder coating? Mine are showing 83,000 miles on them.

The rear covers (trunk lid) need some love too.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The rear lid louvers are anodized aluminum, I wouldnt paint them, have them re-anodized. My 79 has body colored front fender louvers and I though the QV's were also painted, black, regardless of body color. I would used a durable Eurathane paint or powder coat them.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agree completely with Newman. I believe powder coating of the front grills with the appropriate black finish would be the most chip resistant and durable. The rears are anodized, and might look odd painted.

4. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am almost positive the rears are anodized. They look OK. I am leaning towards a good powder coating. I will likely have the injector manifold powder coated at the same time (assuming I can get anything out of it that will melt in the oven - otherwise I will paint it).

5. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I have a US 1984 308 GTB QV (Rosso Corsa) and my front and back grills are all black anodized aluminum. They happen to be in nice shape and the anodizing is nice and even as well, so I just keep them clean by wiping them down with a soft rag that is lightly coated with a fine weight oil. You might try this treatment to see if it helps.

If I ever had to refinish them I would probably just get them re-anodized, or powder coated if I couldn't get them re-anodized.

However, I have seen several cars that have had the grills painted to match the body color, and that looks quite nice too if one prefers it. I think some Euro cars might have come that way from the factory, but I don't think that the US cars did -- although someone will surely let me know if I am wrong about this.

Kind Regards, Chris

6. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #6 jwise, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Chris is right, as far as some Euro 308s. Mine (83 QV) has black louvers in the rear and painted red in the front. This is how it came frome the factory as far as I know.
    Another member's Euro 308 (Verell's) which was produced around the same time as mine has black louvers in the front. Weird.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F

Same here 83 308 gts EURO

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jwise, that is a sweet looking car! I like the look of body color front louvers/vents. No rear spoiler looks cleaner too. The only thing I am partial to, is the standard front air dam, rather than the deep euro style. Euro bumpers and front turn signals gets a thumbs up too!

Keep that car up, it sure is a looker to me! :)

BTW, what was the 83 Euro 308 rated for hp? Have you ever dyno'd your car?

9. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    thanks Dave for the compliments! It's been a great car, although in the shop right now for fuel tank issues and a few other things. My profile shows another photo if you care.

Horsepower? Previous owner said 260- I have no way to prove that.
    A group of New England ferrari folks are going to try and have a dyno-day in the spring. I'll know then.

Sorry for the hijack.