208 Series... | FerrariChat

208 Series...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Varenne, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can anyone provide a brief comment or quick overview of the 208 series? This is a model group that I'm not familiar with. Are these simply predecessors of the 308 series? They don't seem to be very desireable if the estimated price ranges are in the 20k range. Just curious.

Mark

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They are 2.0 liter turbocharged versions of the 308. They were made to get around a tax on engine size in europe. Other than that i dont know much about them. I do not think they were brought to the US, soany for sale here are grey market, but i think idid see one for sale on ebay a few weeks ago.

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    To be absolutely correct:

The car was made specifically for the Italian market.They have/had a law on the book that gave higher than 2L engines a significant yearly tax increase. For the Italian market Ferrari made the 208, based on the same engine block but with less displacement.

The 208 engine was first a regular carbed engine and bacame later turbocharged. I can't quite remember if it was with the change to the QV engine that they turboed the engine. Don't have my "Original V8" here in the office.

These cars are somewhat rare but also grossly underpowered.

4. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. Exactly the type of quick, basic info I was looking for. I guess I need to stop by the bookstore and pick up a basic F-car reference guide pretty soon.

Much appreciated,

Mark

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    Out of my head I'm saying the types were:

208 GTB/GTS
    208 GTB/GTS Turbo
    Turbo GTB/GTS (without the 208

And offcourse the Dino 208 GT4

6. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Brief? Here goes..

2L turbocharged 308/328 for Italian market.

There you go!

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    A friend of mine here has a silver one. He's modded it himself and makes around 350hp. Pretty cool little car. Id rather have it than a 308/328.