348 do it yourself.. :) | FerrariChat

348 do it yourself.. :)

Discussion in '348/355' started by ronsupercar, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Does anyone here in F-chat maintain there own 348..

I know the engine of the 308 doesn't need to be removed to maintain it.. This means even I can own one.

Does the 348 engine have to be completely removed like the TR's to tune it up..

Just a question for those who know...

Thanks

2. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    You better get the engine on a stand if you want to do the job right...especially for any performance mods/rebuild....Some brave folks have done complete belt service without removing the engine but it's a major pain, time consuming and need to drop the fuel tank....

The factory recommends to have the engine out for any major service...

VK

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    If you search the Tech Q&A section you will find plenty of 348 drivers that do their own maintenance. On the 348 the engine is designed to be removed on its own subframe to do the belts, front seals and water pump, so while it is definitely more work, it is not the huge hairy deal it would first appear to be. Most other repairs can be done without removing the engine (like my recent clutch R&R post, for example)

Before I bought my 348 I studied the parts & maint manuals (348 355 and TR manuals) and realized that when it comes down to it - the 348 cars are fairly well deigned and the repairs are mostly straight forward once you get to know how things are laid out. This list is also a great resource so do stay tuned.

4. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    You two are gentelman. Thank you for the info..

Anymore feed back from anyone else ?

5. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Yes, the repair is straight forward. Fluid change can be done in the home garage. There's also plenty of room in the engine bay.

I do the minor stuff at home. I save the majors (clutch or timing belts, etc) to experienced F mechanics.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I do my own work, yes even the engine out service. The cars aren't hard to work on at all. The more you get into them, the more you realize that there is alot of hype put out about "Ferrari" engine service. You don't need to be some "factory trained" tech to work on your car. If you have ever changed an alternator, starter, or even your own oil, you can work on these cars.

7. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I have basic car maintance knowledge. Do you really feel that working on these engines will be easy to learn..You know what they say, "Only a trained tech can work on these cars" I don't expect it to be as simple as a regular car. I just hear that not every car nut can work on them.

I want one really bad, and I'm not affraid to do most of the work myself.. I just don't want to have any regrets..

I hear a V8 Ferrari can take about $5k or more to maintain a year..

If I can get the parts and maintain her myself, Its a sure thing.

8. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Ron,

It is not true that the annual(yearly) maintenance for the 348 is $5000. At the minimum, the annual maintenance should just be a change oil. But others change the coolant & flush the brake fluid as well. That's roughly $120 on parts.

The $5000 you are referring is for a cambelt job which is 15k or 30k miles or 5 years. Which ever comes first. Actually it's more like $6-7K now.

If you let the dealer maintain your car, budget about $1000 per year in maintenance.

Good luck

9. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Okay, since you guys do your own maintenence....

How do you get the necessary shims for the valve adjustments???

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh that's easy Diablo. What I did was swap the shims around that I could. I had to change 27 out of 32 valves. After I recycled the ones that were already in the engine I only needed 11. Then I went to differnt shops that delt with Ferrari's and got the sizes I needed. But here is the tricky part. The shims aren't all the same size. There is a measurement stamped on the back of the shim. The measuerment only goes out to the hundredth of an inch. But you need it to go out to the thousandth of an inch. It my have a measurement of 4.20mm stamped on the back of it, but when you actually measure it with a micrometer they may actually be 4.1989, or 4.207. Well the problem is those couple thousandths and tenthousandths can be the difference of being in or out of the specs. Trust me I had to redo three valves because of exactly this. Ron trust me you DO NOT have to be factory trained to work on these cars. I have NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE worked on a Ferrari until I got mine. If I can do it you can do it. The fellas here are awsome and we help eachother out as best we can. So get that 348, and when the time comes, put a wrench in your hand and fix YOUR Ferrari.

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have had my 348 for 14 years and have loved it almost the entire time. I have done my own services and I had the dealer do it once (never again!).

With just floor jacks and basic tools we had the engine/sub frame out in around 2 hours and back in in around 3. (When the dealer did it they hit me for 19 hours in and out plus the actual service. Unbelievable!) I then roll the entire unit into the garage and worked on the actual service for about 3 weeks. Even though it is a pain to take the motor out it does make it easy to work on.

As long as you are meticulous, take your time and realize that a screw up could cost big$...you'll do fine. Once you learn your way around the car they are just that....CARS! They are reletively straight forward.

Get one and have fun!

Ciao

Dino

12. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
  13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    For working on a 348 you want a FULL set of workshop manuals and full parts book. What you see some folks selling as "technical manuals" or by some other name are selected sections of the manuals or just the owner's booklet. Beware of the $29 "full" manual.

Another sneaky one is when they sell the parts manual diagrams in a book without the lists of part numbers and descriptions that go with them. The diagrams alone are helpful but you need the part number lists so that you can order spare parts. As for the price, the real thing is going to cost you a lot more than $29.99 but will pay for itself the first time you use it to diagnose or repair your own car.

14. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    You definetely need the Parts manual + the Workshop repair manuals if you're going to do any work on the 348....The first link is the standard User's Manual and doesn't really explain anything in detail...

Get the hard copy version if you can find them....the CD-ROM version is hard to follow when you're working in your garage with greasy hands ;)

VK

15. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Where does one find these items?

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have the complete manual set and the parts book.

To me the manuals are bearly passable....It's the parts book that allows me to figure out how thing are put together and come apart.

Ciao

Dino

17. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    You guys are completely awesome.. Thanks fir all this motivating information..

I would love a 308 but if I could hold off (yeah right) a 348 wouldn't be bad at all..

Keep the info coming..

18. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I agree the hard copy is more usable in the garage. I bought the CD and then just printed a copy of each book (6 volumes total), that way I can get the pages as greasy as I want and I can just print another page. Also helps when going to buy a part - just print up that page from the parts book and go.

Like they guys already said, the important thing is to get a full manual, whatever the source.

19. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    doing the major service of the 348 isn't that difficult
    especially with the tech help advice you will get from the f-chat community.

it is highly time consuming though, which is why a repair shop charges so much.
    there's alot of parts to remove and replace.
    as long as you track how you disassembled it, you should be fine d.i.y.

having a lift would help alot, if not you'll spend a few hours going back and forth gradually lifting the car up to 3 feet off the ground

doing the clutch is significantly easier than the 308/328 models (imo).

20. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    ShanB, I have a question.....

How many volumes are the Factory Workshop manuals??? I have two (2) volumes on print but I've heard there a third volume which is included on the CD-ROM version....Is this info correct??

If you have a three-volume Workshop manual I'd like to know more details about that....Thanks

VK

21. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    If one doesn't have a lift, how do you jack it up 3 feet. Is 3ft enough clearance to role the engine out from under the car.

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Ron im just going to have to agree with all the good advice youve been given,you can service this yourself no problem just dont rush it
    and take down notes and take pictures if your not to sure,
    ferrari maintenance is by no means rocket science,
    remember your doing a service so fully check the car over and
    take down notes of any faults found,
    work clean,work safely,and enjoy it,
    Ron youve got all these gents to help you thats priceless,
    cheers
    Dale.

23. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    i jacked the car from the left and right side frame rails under the doors.
    3 inches at a time - raise one side - support with jack stand - raise the other side - support with jack stands ..... (back and forth).

in order to get to about 3 feet above ground, i placed the jack stands on top of home made wooden pillars.
    with the rear bumper removed, i dropped the engine and slid it out the back - there is enough clearance -
    i used a motorcycle 1500 lb capacity rolling jack to lower the engine and pull it out.

BTW, i always kept in mind, SAFETY FIRST, above anything else.

24. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    #24 lovespeed, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

How do you guys get the freon out of the AC system??
    And back in??