GT4/308 Suspension problem/ possible failure | FerrariChat

GT4/308 Suspension problem/ possible failure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I was finishing up my bumper adjustments and doing all the fluid changes when I came across something troubling. I rebuilt my rear suspension last year and was wiping it down and checking it out, when I discovered the lower shock mount bolt nylock nut deformed on the drivers side. The passengers side was simmilar but not as bad. When I rebuilt the suspension I used all factory parts including new lower shock mount bolts. It seems the bolts on extreme upward travel are hittng the bottom of the upper control arm... The book says this is the way they go but on examination it seems as if there is more room aft so I switched the bolts around. Only the nylock part of the nut was defromed with no damage to the bolt. Actually the bolt was so short that I actually left of the split washer as the fender washer and split washer as per the book left the nut not completely threaded. After I do some spirited drives I will check the condition and report back. There is a place on the PCH where there are some swooping bumps where I know the shocks are in there top most position, I just thought that that is what the shock bumpers are there for???? Any comments
    Pictures below

Rob

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    control arm

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    bolt and nut reversed

5. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Hey, ROb,
    There is a pretty clear picture of the rear wishbones and hub carrier on page 108 of Ludvigsen's "Ferrari The Factory." I know you have the book because you recommended it to me. Thanks, its great.

I couldn't get oriented from the pictures you posted, but maybe its worth a glance

6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    On my 79 308, it has a low profile nut in that place. Did a nylon insert nut come off when you took it apart, the bolt head in the picture looks right as it is low profile.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Robert, I've had my suspension apart 2x in the last 14 months, (and was putting it back togehter again this weekend!) so I can recall the area quite well. Reversing the bolt direction won't do it. As Bob highlights, the OEM nut is low profile, I'd guess 5 or 6 mm tall (I don't have it in front of me) versus 4 or 5 mm for the bolt head. Note, if you have the OEM bolt reversed, the OEM nut will contact the a-arm, from memory on the leading edge.
    HTH
    Philip

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks Guys,

I just ordered the correct nuts, which by the way are shorter from FOA. but here is my question. If I use a shorter (non-nylock) nut and split washer and fender washer as in the book, the whole assembly will stick out about as far as the set-up I had that got smashed. Only the nylock part was damaged and the nut came off easily. I am afraid that if I use the correct arrangement that it will smash the nut and or if I dont use the fender washer and split washer that it will damage the threads of the bolt making it near impossible to remove. I am thinking of putting the fender washer on the rear head side of the bolt, re-positioning it correctly and using the factory split washer and nut. I am thinking this will give it somemore room. The control arm was not seriously damaged, you can see in the picture above that it just knocked some paint off and put a small ding in it, so I imagine that there is not much room there on either side. When the suspension is down it is hard to believe that either side would hit but as it is loaded the pieces come closer together.

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    If I recall, it only takes one thin washer under the nut. When correctly assembled, it does have clearance.