Upscale Parking Like This in New York?? | FerrariChat

Upscale Parking Like This in New York??

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    The following amenties are offered by the Bridgehampton Motoring Club located in the Hamptons. Does anybody know if anybody offers something similar for exotic car owners in NYC proper; ie, a warehouse type housing facility, with premium services?

Services:

- 24/7/365 Access
    - Temperature and humidity controlled environment
    - Access to power for battery maintenance
    - Pick-up and Delivery
    - Full Security with Key code access for members
    - Member access to full Pan/Tilt/Zoom cameras at the
    facility which may be viewed over the Internet
    - Detailing
    - Speed Detailing
    - Weekly mechanical integrity routines
    - Maintenance and Inspection coordination
    - Hard Top Storage

Regards.

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    yes its called having kids and your own garage

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Miami - NY
    LOL

I wish we had something like that in NY

4. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    Some condos (most likely on the East Side) offer concierge service. Generally if you can luck out and find an apartment that has a garage in the building (again, most likely the East Side), then you might be able to swing it.

Otherwise there are many storage places around mid-town on the west side (next FIT and the where the west side highway ends).

I also wouldn't be surprised if some NYC dealers will store your car.

However, there is always the independant parking garages. Again these can be questionable, as they take your keys and park your car.

If you get a real estate agent, make that one of your requirements.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-N

PS - for this reason alone I may have to consider moving back to outside of NYC, even *gasp* NJ (albeit Hoboken).

5. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I don't know of any that offer quite that level of service in Manhattan - but I imagine condos with on-premises garages get the closest, like someone else mentioned. If you are forced to go to an independent garage, it pays to take a visit to the garage yourself and assess the situation carefully.

Talk to the employees in person (esp the manager) - there are lots of ******* garage attendents that don't give a crap if they scratch/dent/mangle/abuse your car. Ask them up front about the damage claims process. If you get a bad vibe go elsewhere. I had to sue my previous garage because they refused to pay for damage to my car. In retrospect, I should have realized they were lying bastards.

Take a look at the other cars in the garage - if you see a lot of late-model luxury/sports cars that look low-mileage, its usually a good sign. Also look at the facilities themselves - how clean it is, how many cars are they cramming in there?

Many places refuse cars past a certain price point due to liability concerns - if a place refuses on these grounds ask for a referral. Most places that take expensive cars offer park-and-lock, where the owner of the car is theoretically the only one that touches it and you get your own designated space. If you trust the garage attendents enough, most will clean and "detail" you car for $20. Many (most?) of the nicer garages are also shielded from the elements and big tempature swings.

Tip well and tip often. Sorry if some of this is a bit trite and mostly common sense, but it might be of some use to you. Good luck!

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for your thoughts Nabbs and ebrigham. I think they are spot on. I live in Midtown on the West Side, and while there are certainly nice garages that offer the "park and lock" option, I was just curious to know if there were "warehouse"-style parking accomodations that one always hears about. Given the premium for space in NYC, I doubt that those exist within city grounds. I think the best option, as you guys note, is to find a reputable garage, and keep it there. Will continue the search, and see what I find.

Thanks.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Makes you wonder if the concept of garage condos would make sense. I know they do it with boat slips. Separate space with a locking door plus services.

8. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As a co-founder of the Bridgehampton Motoring Club and a New Yorker for almost 40 years, I have a view on parking in the city....Just one man's view...

Rules for selecting a Garage in NYC

1. Don't pick a garage with an elevator as the mgmt. will never let you get your own car.

2. Pick a garage that's 24 hours. The one time you need your car afterhours, you will curse yourself.

3. The posted rates are highly negotiable. (Don't forget the NYC resident tax rebate)

4. Even if the garage posts rates for park & lock, a (big entry) tip to the manager will usually allow your own access to the car without locking it. You will be able to park it yourself and retrieve it yourself.

5. Pick a space where there is a pillar/garage support beam on your driver's side. Assuming, cars are backed in, you will only have passenger side doors opening on to you so you will have no chance of dings.

6. Ask for a christmas list for all employees. Tip the MGR. up to $300, $40 for guys during your hours, and $20 for guys not during your hours. Make sure your card has your name and type of car and color.

7. Forget the car cover if you use your car at least once a week. The city is filled with dirt and you will damage your finish over time.

8. If you are driving in the city, you may be better off parking in the street rather than a temporary garage. Exotic cars don't get stolen, jeep cherokees and toyota landcruisers get stolen.

9. When parking in the street, avoid entrances to apartment buildings or restuarants or you will get yellow scratches/dings. Try spots right before or after fire pumps, or in front of loading docks for buildings. The loading docks say 24 hrs. They never are.

10. Finally, for less than almost all garages in the city you can park at the Bridgehampton Motoring Club and we will flatbed your auto with four hours notice.

www.bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for the great post. I will PM you with some additional questions.

Regards.