What to have F355 or 512TR ? | FerrariChat

What to have F355 or 512TR ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kenyon, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which Ferrari is the one to have for Keep Sake

1. F355

2. F512TR

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Which ferrari is the one to have out of this choice the 355 or the 512TR

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The 355 is a nice attractive good handling car , the downside is that its a V8 & was relatively mass produced.

The 512TR was a limited production model & a V12, 2 reasons why its price should hold up better than the 355 over time. The 512TR is also much more powerful & I find it more attractive. downside of the 512TR are less handling & the brakes are marginal for track work

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Voted 512. I love Ferrari 12 cylinders and this one takes the cake.

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have been thinking of changing my 348 spyder for a F355 of 512TR.

I just love the looks of the 512TR like the F348. The 512TR was the supercar to have in my youth lsame with the countach

5. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I think it all depends on what it is you are looking for in a car.These two cars are not apples to apples other than they are Ferraris in there size ,ride,handling ect.It's like comparing my M5 to my brothers M3 BMW.It's not even that close of a comparision.I love my 512 for a few hrs at a time she is a blast,for me she is more old school no frills tube chassi race inspired than the 355 as to ride and comfort.With the addition of better brakes and suspention tweaks the 512 is on the heavy side, but is a true race car. You realy need to drive them both, I have, and have now decided to add a 550 to the stable,another F car that is night and day from my 512TR.

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Plain and simple; I simply do not fit in a TR very well. I love the way it looks, but;
    -I cannot hit the brake without blipping the throttle
    -my forehead feels like it is right at the top of the windshield
    -lack of power assisted steering is a killer

355 is gorgeous, and I have no ergonomic complaints about it. Even though you are comparing an 8-cylinder to a 12, there is only a 5hp difference. Definitely my choice.

7. Sharris

Sharris Karting

Mar 19, 2002
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Sean Harris
    Easy choice for me - 512TR. Nothing quite has the same feel, sound or driving experience, especially if it has some sort of aftermarket exhaust. It can be a bit intimidating at first. Now if you are talking Testarossa and not 512, then I would go 355.

8. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I couldn't vote as it is a hard decision. I bought a 355 Spider a year and a half ago but could have bought a 512TR instead.

I only went with the 355 because I found the perfect one. If I found the perfect 512TR I might have bought it instead. I have driven the 512TR and found it more fun to drive if there was open road but more work around town. The 355 is probally cheaper and easier to maintain.

When I am ready (Maybe later this year) I will buy my second Ferrari and it will be a 512TR.

DrewH

9. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    512TR over 355 over Testarossa - I have a friend who has a Testarossa and I think my 355 is a better car (even though it is a mass-produced one by Ferrari standards) TR...might be a different story

10. 355 all the way. The Testarossa is for balding middle-aged guys who are stuck in the 80s.

11. The 355. The 512TR has such a high center of gravity and such a hugely massive boxer engine that it doesn't handle as nicely. Add a K+N air filter, ECU and tubis to the 355, and you have 400 true hp. This means that the lighter 355 will accelerate just as quickly as the 512TR. Better brakes straight from the factory too.

12. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    I've driven both cars, longer with the 355 though. These are two completely different characteristic. The F355 is more agile and leaner than 512TR. It has 90s technologies so the drive and handling is not better but I'd say is more modern than the 512TR. The 512TR is a classic Ferrari. The bulk though can be sometime intimidating. I am okay with the lack of power steering though. Once on the road the steering weight almost perfect. In fact, the F355 has less feel and more dodgy feeling with its steering wheel comparing to the 512TR.

Roominess, comfort, and endless power delievery are the three obvious advantages for the 512TR. Compactness and modern technology do favor the F355. You might want to try one right after another to really get the feeling about the difference. To choose either one is up to you. Don't forget you will be the one living with the car!

Good luck.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Boy this was really a tough one, but I voted for the 355. The 512 is a great car. It is very fast, and the look are fantastic, but it is missing the nimbleness of a 355. But the TR has that unmistakable exoticness to it. So does the 355. Man this is really a coin flip. Either way you can't go wrong. But in the end I still would rather have a 355.

14. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Both are great cars. No doubt about that.

However the 355 fits me better.

If I had the money, I would buy both.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER

Care to bring your 355 around for a little drag race ? :)

16. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Having owned a TR, I say TR. I have driven 355's and I just don't like them. I bypassed the 355's and went to a 360. The TR is a much prettier car also, IMHO.

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    some of the answer depends on the context and intention:

the 512tr is a wide beast with no power steering etc. so difficult to park or manoeuver in tight spaces, so in town it isn't the best.
    the 355 is narrower and has power steering and is relatively easy to drive in confined spaces.

do you want torque or hp? the 12 is all about massive torque and engine flexibility and power. the 8 is about revs.

do you want nimble handling or a gt cruiser that handles at about 90pct of the 355?

what attention or image projection do you want (you may not care). at least where i live, 355's are so numerous that they don't even get a second look, and they tend to be driven by younger guys looking for female attention. 512tr are rarer and project a more mature impression. (all imho).

so don't just judge these 2 by their stats - its only half the story.

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    There is no question ever between an 8 and a 12 cylinder Ferrari. Get the 12 ! In fact, I know of no Ferrari 12 that I wouldn't prefer over any Ferrari 8 other than maybe a 288GTO. Even a 12 such as a 400GT or the like gives you a better Ferrari ownership experience than an 8 IMHO. Especially if its going to be your only Ferrari.

19. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
  20. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, you'd choose a 456 over an F40? To each his own, I guess.
    Ferrari makes awesome 8 cylinder cars.

I prefer light and nimble from my sportscars; so, I tend to prefer the 8's consistently over the 12's. And the 355 is one of the best 8's ever.

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sure: 3 conditions: A) at TWS on main straight; B) after the drag race we continue for 60 minutes on the 2.9 mile road course; C) Street tires (not slicks not r-compound).

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Brian, I guess I would rather have an F40 than a 456, but I would rather have a 456 than a 308, 328, 348, 355 or 360.

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

having owned both 8 and 12 cyl ferraris...i will agree w/ frank that there is simply no comparison. you must choose the tr. boxer is even better is you had that option. 12 cyl w/ a sport exhaust will mke even the most experienced car folks get weak knees! driving a 12 makes for a special event w/ each mile! all that said, the 355 is a lovely looking car and does also represent a good performance value. and while a stock 355 will out do a stock tr at most tracks, on the hwy or even most back roads, equal drivers would run neck and neck. parking lot...advantage tr.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Where is TWS ? How about Moroso ?

25. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

I still have my 355 which is a great car. However, I have to agree that the flat 12 in the 512TR is worth the price of admission alone!
    No doubt that on a fairly twisty road course a 355 will stay up with a 512. However, at a place like Road Atlanta, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc. the 512s superior grunt will win every time. There is still no substitue for low end torque combined with huge high end hp.