S55 AMG 0-100mph acceleration vids | FerrariChat

S55 AMG 0-100mph acceleration vids

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bilal, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    this guy's runs were discussed at length on mbworld.org. even the choir over there concede that his timing is probably a tad aggressive. but the thing is seriously f'ing fast :)

when you watch the two 0-100 runs, notice the yellow diamond flashing. that's the computer kicking in 'cuz you're trying to violate the laws of physics (tire slippage in his case).

they did a really nice job with the computer in that it notifies and compensates rather than doing something extreme like cutting a ton of power. as a result the car is very predictable under high-acceleration and whatnot. i've been very impressed with the computer on the boston snow and ice (although i shut the computer off the other day when i took the boy out to do donuts - he was amused!).

doody.

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Great video......the speed needle was almost moving as fast as the tach was.

Apparently in MB factory testing (according to the sales trainer 18 months ago) this car "out accelerated" the 550 Maranello to 300 km by almost 10 seconds.........it literally walked away from it after about 200 kmh.

I do not know how much "embellishment" he put into his spiel introducing the car.....but whatever the case.....Ferrari had to produce the 575M thereafter. Both cars are one fast ride.

3. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    #4 C. Losito, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bilal

Bilal Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    kds, can you confirm that 550 kill?

If so, then these cars are NOT to be taken lightly!

SO, lets see , if a 550 takes about a minute to get to 300km/hr, then how much faster is the 575M?

BTW love that AMG sig.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'm just regurgitating what the sales trainer told me back when I worked for MB.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think Car and Driver tested the S55 against a 575M, Viper Srt and Murcielago. In their top speed test runs, which were track limited, the murci ran 192mph, with the Benz clocking 187, and the 575 and Viper tying at 182.

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    what did the car have done to it mod wise?

8. Bilal

Bilal Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    All the latest 55K Kompressor AMG cars are stock, they are limited to 155mph, however AMG will happily remove the limiter to its next stage 186mph, this is not advertised but is available on request from AMG. These cars all weigh 2 tons and by Mercedes safety standards, continous speeding above 186mph will lead to tyre blowouts, this is why the 186mph limiter is the max resticted speed of these cars. That motortrend mag test was a restricted to 186mph CL55 AMG.

Fully derestricted and tested by AMG, ALL the V8 Kompressor cars are capabale of 206mph~+ The E55 can reach 207.5mph.

Will this evidence get AMG the respect they deserve from you Ferrari enthusiasts?

9. vrus

vrus Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The AMG cars are awesome vehicles.. I am a sports car nut of the Nth degree. I usually only drive 2 door sports cars because sedans bore me, but, after spending just 20min in the driver's seat of an E55 AMG I just had to have it.

I am having a 640hp kit installed on it and will be ready for spring. :)