TR Dashes | FerrariChat

TR Dashes

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jerrari, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Why do so many TR's come with brown dashes? Was this the default color? Could you order a different color if you wanted to? If so, why didn't more people do it? Many of the dashes that I look at (regardless of color) are pulling away from the vents. How big a job is it to pull the dash & replace the leather? Thanks for the info, Jerry.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's a fairly big job IMO -- not something you could do (well) in less than 2 man-days + the cost of the actual leather repair so maybe ~$2K minimum (and it's the kind of thing where it's nice to give all the pieces some care/treatment while disassembled so I put in way more labor than that including some repair to the dash carcass itself and fixing the abuse from a previous disassembly/reassembly). If I was a buyer, I'd put a $4~5K discount on TR with such a need -- JMO...

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    PS mine's black...

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think I have a black dash for a 92 512TR

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    That looks awesome Steve, great job!!

6. SONNY

SONNY Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Mine is black! Best repair and least expensive is to have the windshield removed and repairs done. A competant upholstry shop can do very easily.

7. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

LOL! And just *how* do you propose to remove the WS and trim without breaking it? Even Shelton wouldn't guarantee a removal without breakage = $1500 + cost of new trim + installlation cost at $96.50 per hour for well over $2000 extra to the cost.

Having almost the same problem, I removed my entire dash, ordered the Connely leather, and had the pieces recovered all for under $500, but as Steve stated, it's not an easy R&R at all, (you had best hurry if you want Connely leather).

The dash part under the window is a piece of corrugated plastic crap covered with leather.

This shoddy construction contributes to the problem you have, and I replaced mine with a thin piece of veneer that I covered with one layer of fiberglass cloth and cut to fit.

I'll post images of my install when I return.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The dash on my BB512i is brown too.

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Many of the dashes that I look at (regardless of color) are pulling away from the vents.

Okay, the reason is mainly that the construction of the interior upholstery is anything but "exotic." I was shocked.

When I replaced mine, I had the guy upgrage the vent area by sewing in a "patch" in each vent area that could be properly secured, and looks good, as well.

These were taken with a web cam so I couldn't post an image of the entire area.

Front and back:
    [​IMG]

10. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Well, I can't seem to make the image appear, but the link is there.
    This would be underneath:
    [​IMG]

Also, a thin piece of fabric backed foam was glued to the back of the leather to stabilize it, and add a little padding. The white color you see in the second image is that backing.

My advise when you take out the dash - tell the guy that it's to a project that your'e working on - Don't use the F word, unless you want to pay 2-3x as much.

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#11 gabriel, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#12 gabriel, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I had the leather on the dash of my TR replaced last year because the leather had pulled away from the vents. I took it to a upholstery shop in New Jersey that did a superb job of matching and replacing the leather. I also had them custom make a black dash cover to protect the leather dash when she is parked in the sun. The whole deal cost be $1200.00 -- I could not be happier! pd

14. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    PD: Do you have any pics of the end result?