Web Space for Ferrari Reference Materials | FerrariChat

Web Space for Ferrari Reference Materials

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Malfark, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Gents,

I have a lot of manuals for my car in PDF format and want to post them to the internet so that others with 328's no longer have to be ripped off by the unknown faces that sell these disks on e-Bay for crazy prices.

I must have about 800 MB of files that I would be quite happy to post, but my ISP does not give me that much web-space :( I am sure that many of you have similar collections of documents that the rest of us would find interesting if not incredibly useful.

Why don't we try to create an on-line resource of manuals, reviews, magazine articles, photos or anything of interest (by Ferrari model) that we could all draw upon when we're looking for stuff. Maybe something like this already exists of which I am unaware. If you know of a resource like this, please let the rest of us know! Copyright may be an issue of course, but the guys ripping us off on e-Bay don't seem to have run into those problems!

So, the big question is....who out there in the F-Chat world has a few free gigabytes of space on a server for us to start the FTP-uploads?

It will be interesting to see what the rest of you think!

Cheers, MARK

2. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    That's a great idea - I only have 100 meg with my broadband account, but that hosts pics/emails, etc already. How much would it cost to buy a chunk of cyberspace?

3. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Marc,

There's loads of space out there at a price. However, there are a number of F-Chatters among us who run their own Ferrari / exotic car sites who may already have the capacity and who may want to host resource materials too. I think that these should be the guys we speak with first.

One of the PDF files I have is 265 MB so we will need big blocks on a server!

Enjoy the splash of sun today mate! :D

Cheers, MARK

4. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I do have a Ferrari site (2) but unfortunately I don't have that much of space :( That would cost me far to much money...perhaps it's even a better idea to start your own server...with access behind a password or something... ?? cheaper (I think) and lot's of space :D

5. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Hey guys,

there is a reason why that material is not posted already. It is copyrighted material, and Ferrari is very active protecting his property :(

I hate to be the spoiler here, but I thought I just had to remind you about that, sorry.

- Julio.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    True, Ferrari will nail you since they collect money with those things...
    However, I would like to get one of those you have. Do you have MSN or something? maybe we can forward some files to other interested people? You can PM or mail me at [email protected]

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    password protection and pm's for the url and password would alleviate the risks from copyright bashers, do you think?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    Jep, but it is still very illegal, and Ferrari can and probably will sue your ass off

9. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    pssss, keep it secret

I know this page from a long time ago, and I don't know how is still up, but it is. It is the only one up from many that I have seen comming and going after Ferrari prosecution.

- Julio

10. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Gents,

@Julio - Yes; the copyright issue is real I guess! But it amuses me that Ferrari does not screw the people that sell these CD's openly on e-Bay (and make a living out of pirating) but would hit the real owners who just want to share information and put the piraters out of business! I have seen (and used) the site that you listed, but it does not have some of the most important (and large) documents.

@Forza - starting my own server....that may happen within the next year. Maybe! But unlikely.

@Hedge - yes...but my IT skills need to get there first! Hey....you live 3km down the road......! ;)

@Bob - I use AOL's Instant Messenger (AIM). My user name is MAlfaRK if you want to get in touch some time.

Cheers, MARK

11. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    They do, they did something past year and for over a month it was impossible to find one on Ebay, but soon it started again.

I guess it is difficult (or more likely costly) for Ferrari to prosecute people in Ebay who sells these items and then disapear, most of them in the US many under fake identities.

In other hand, to take down a webpage it only takes Ferrari a well written letter from their lawyers to the ISP. Your ISP will shutdown your web page in an instant.

I do not think they will really go after the money in this cases, getting in court for this is too expensive and they might lose and have to pay the costs. In Europe they most likely will only recover some money from a law suit if the information were sold, and only an amount equal to whatever they coud demonstarate it was the benefit of the illegal seller. Simillar to what happens with Music or Software Piracy. I might be wrong though.

- Julio.

12. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Julio,

You speak a lot if sense. I did not know about the clamp down on e-Bay sellers, but I do recall that I did not see any disks for sale for quite a while last year.

I thinks it's best that I forget the whole idea :D

Cheers, MARK

13. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    800MB of material is great. And of course i'd like to have it. I won't be there but for the ones who are attending the Switzerland Rally, you can burn into CDs.
    just my 0.02$

14. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    HI Izel - But I wouldn't want to breach copyright would I? ;) Cheers, MARK

15. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.

I think, you wouldn't :)

16. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Izel,

I really want to try and get back to Turkey this year. I spent a month there in 1989 and another 10 days in 1996 (motorcycling through Capadocia). My wife and I love your country and have been talking about going back as flights are really easy from the UK.

Next time I want to get out east to Lake Van. We also missed Nemrud Dagi on our last trio, so I have to get out there roo.

Cheers, MARK

17. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    Mark,
    Nemrud is a real historical place, tourists adore it.
    You did motorcycling on 1996, "Master Rally"?
    By the way my mother is a tourist guide so if you have any question about anything i can get the answers for you. Just PM me.