Preferred Driving Sunglasses | FerrariChat

Preferred Driving Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dopplemax, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I just picked up some polarized Oakley Half-Jackets that seem so far to be pretty good under really bright winter driving conditions. What glasses do you prefer and why?

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I HAVE REVOS.GREAT FOR DRIVING...KEEPS OUT ALL THE UV RAYS.......

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Even if i could afford a pair of Oakleys or any of those other ridiculously expensive sunglasses, i wouldn't buy them; i lose sunglasses like it's a trend, so i try to stick with the relatively cheap pairs... i don't think i've ever spent more than $20 on a pair...

That said, i found a pair in Target once whose lenses were not as dark as i'm used to; the glasses were also heavier than i was used to thus not as comfortable; however, they had some sort of special UV driving protection lenses or something like that; they increased visibility through the bright rays of the sun better than any other pair i ever had... i liked them alot...

In any case, to answer your question, i prefer dark sunglasses whose exterior lenses are silvery/reflecting; they must be light-weight and comfortable; if unavailable, i'll go for the first thing that's light-weight and comfortable with some sort of UV protection...

4. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I use the same Half-Jacket. Mine came with three sets of lens' (red,blue,smoke) and the semihard case. No complaints so far.

Dave

5. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've had the same pair of Oakley Eye Jackets and they work excellent. Except for the lens have become scratched over time, they are the best glass I have owned.

6. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Ray Ban Polarized rim less...

They are the best driving glasses made..

I've tried the $10 glasses but they can't even compare to it..

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I just added a pair of Audemars Piguet goggles to the collection. Great! Other that those I am a bit of a glasses fiend...have about 10 pairs.

DL

8. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I used to use the Serengettis but I prefer Maui Jim's now. Great polarization and exceptional optics. As for losing them, I never do while my wife (who goes fo rthe inexpensive ones) tends to go through 1 a month. I think the price has a lot to do with how long they are kept!

- JMG

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just watch out for dark sunglasses. Those can be bad. When the lense is dark, your pupil will get larger, thus letting in more light, and that means.. more chances of letting in bad light. UV protection or not, this should be a concern.

Over the years, I've had all sorts. But polarized is a definate must - especially out on the water. Current sunglasses, I've had for years - they are basic Oakley polarized, which ran me just under $200 at the time. But after having them for over 5 years now, they have paid off more so than the former.

Best lenses I've had: Revo or Serengetti. The latter is by far my favorite. Only had one pair before. Revo - haven't plumped down $230 yet for a pair of glasses - except precription wear.

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've found the best driving glasses are mirrored-tint, real-glass Polarized sunglasses. I have a pair of Ray Bans that fit the bill, but looking to upgrade to a pair of Persols if I can find a classic, timeless style that is very good quality and decent price....the search is on!

Shameless Plugs: Anyone interested in a pair of Porsche Design Boxters in excellent condition with B&L lenses, wiping cloth and clamshell case? I also have a pair of Ray Ban orignal wire-rim aviators a-la Top Gun for sale in their original case with documents. Email me privately...

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Randy, my eyes are very sensitive to light; this could be the single most important thing anyone's told me in a while... What do i do...?

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I love my Aviator Raybans (rigid frame) but I get backflash when I am driving away from the sun, especially at an angle. Extermely painful.

I switched to Maui Jim's wrap around Sports. Super light weight with a laminate lense. If they are not on my face they are in the case in the car. Hopefully that will keep me from losing them.

DJ

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks Thomas,
    I read something to that effect a while back.

The polarized glasses are a must for me and I used to have pretty good luck with cheap Foster Grants. The biggest problem with the cheap plastic lenses I found was distortion resulting in head aches. I opted for the heavier thicker lenses just to get a 'zero' optic. Seemed to work.

DJ

15. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Speaking of sunglasses, IMHO the lenses look best black but i hear Brown or yellow are better for driving in terms of visibility.

I have a pair of quicksilver sunglassed, with prescription brown lenses.

16. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Serengettis here. Love 'em.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    after reading wax's link, it seems quite right. but I still favor not-so-dark glasses. I'd suggest trying out the better, if even a few hundred bucks, "just to try and see what all the fuss is all about" if nothing more. try on some serengetti's just for kicks. those are light on the eyes. my eyes are very sensitive to light. this is probably due to years of sitting in front of various monitors. and I'm sure the television didn't help much either.

at a few friend's places, their lights flicker - at least to me - and I ask them to turn them off if I'm there. this is only in their kitchen because there are no electronic ballast setups that they use. it isn't that common in residential build ups - AFAIK - due to the added expense over conventional in flourescent lighting.

a few tips though... monitor: don't cheap out on the monitor you have for your computer. sure, some added ram will help, some added cpu speeds will help, but those will not last as long as the monitor/mouse/keyboard and chair. those are the items that will always stay constant, or at least... come close to constant. I've got a marginally fast 'puter, while the rest is up to the duty of me staring at it for long periods of time without aches and eyestrain for the most part. other items - the background, rarely do I use white as a background. light gray helps in windows. I set it as a default for documents. and it will only appear white if someone else specifies it. this also helps in web development when I might have forgotten to set the background to white or another color.

don't worry too much, as that link noted, it might be best for you to do whatever you might be used to, even if it is just a few bucks. some people have 10 glasses that last years and years... it's all up to taste, just like cars.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    yellow really eases the visibility. as for helmet visors, I have an orange visor for foggy/overcast/rainy days and for bright days, a chrome visor. the orange visor really helps in those conditions.

19. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    I've had a pair of Maui Jims for a couple years now and love them. It was certainly a splurge to purchase them but they have great lenses and even better anti-glare than my previous Ray Bans which were also polarized. I fly some too along with being on the lake on occasion and the Mauis are the best I have owned. They are also comfortable inside my race helmet as their lenses don't extend as close to the cheekbones as a Ray Ban for instance.

20. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Maui Jim, I've had just about everything else out there and like these best.

21. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have a pair of the oakley spice like montoya wears.I think I'm going to get a pair of armani's or RL's as well because the oakley's stick out a little too much.

22. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Ditto on the Maui Jims.

23. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    I know they are seriously 1980s but...I wear Vuarnet! Great lenses.

24. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    $7.95 Airport specials... full RV protection. I sit on sunglasses so often it doesn't pay to spend much money on them.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep loved my Serengettis ... until somebody decided he wanted them more and broke into my car and took the stereo and my GLASSES, and a few other things.

If only he had left the Serengettis ... :(

Pete