Distributor carbon brush removal | FerrariChat

Distributor carbon brush removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4re gt4, Jan 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    <off topic> Does anyone else thing the 'new-and-improved-FChat' search feature sucks? <on topic>

How do you get the little carbon brush out of the center of the distr cap? I've tugged, but to no avail. The brush is fine, I'm just replacing wires.

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

On my C4, I just pull gently, but firmly WITH A SLIGHT TWISTING ACTION, and it comes out. Do this in a location that allows you to find flying objects, in case the spring on the brush comes loose!

Perhaps the spring is caught on something; so if it feels like the spring is "unwinding" as you pull, I would stop and re-consider the options.

Good luck.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I'll add to the twisting motion that it should be done in a CCW motion (since this will tighten-up the spring and reduce the diameter).

Are you using this new software's search function? I've always gone to the old site and do my searching there...

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Peter: I finally got it out. Turning CCW did help, but it was so tight, that I distorted it a bit. The brush was extended out about an inch before the base of it let go.

Search: Yeah, I usually search the old site first, but also try the 'new and improved' (????) site too.