Ferrari Laptop Review | FerrariChat

Ferrari Laptop Review

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MondialTCab, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
  2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i think business week had an article on it last issue. if memory serves, they thought the unit was 40% to 50% overpriced compared to the competition, adn as a result they expect more manufacturers to do this sort of thing to try to command premiums like this.

i read another review somewhere online that thought it was an average laptop at a well-above-average price.

i'd be careful regardless of what this particular reviewer says (did he pay for this laptop with his own bucks? he's already a fan with a "ferrari watch"). acer isn't known for its "world class laptop technology" necessarily.

doody.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    agreed doody, however, looking at it from an OEM's eyes - this is an interesting niche that we might see more of: team branded/auto manufacturer branded notebooks.

nothing new, but to this particular sector, it will be different than just a University of Texas notebook bag. It will be an actual UT branded Dell (which would be ironic considering M.Dell didn't graduate).

4. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Yes, but he did go to become a BILLIONAIRE!!!!!

5. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I think the branding of non-computer related companies into inferior price-performance computers is going to flop. Buying a ferrari pen or sunglasses is one thing, but buying a laptop that is a year or more old technologically compared to current computers is going to have a niche so small that it will be irrelevant and distribution will be negligible.

I just don't see how this can become a viable market segment, price/performance wise, or distribution wise.

6. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I'd have to say I'm a fan of Ferrari cars... not over hyped, underperforming, overpriced technollogical toys. If it did something special and was light... then I might see the point. With that said if some buisinessman out there can sell it, then good job buddy!!
    I have a Ferrari pen and a T-shirt so I understand with what some people say about little Ferrari badged do-dads, but a computer? Maybe if I wasn't a broke student, and had millions to burn, then I might, maybe, possibly I suppose consider paying twice as much for an everyday lap-top. I think its crazy for the normal Ferrari enthusiast, or owner. I'll reconsider my opinion in twenty years when I have a massive collection and still plenty of money. ;)