I think this is very neat. | FerrariChat

I think this is very neat.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bart, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
  2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Very cool. I remember when Hubble was first sent up and they had made a mistake with the shaping of the lens. The media called it rubble...etc... It is nice that it was retrofitted and ultimately produced such stunning pictures.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - thanks. :)

4. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Indeed quite neat. Thanks Bart.

5. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Apparantly, if my memory serves me rightly, the lens was made in one factory where they worked in inches, yet NASA was giving details in milimeters so the angles were out!

D'oh!

(not totally sure of accuracy of this)

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'm not sure about that mis-metricilization but Mars Polar Lander, a few years ago and a billion $$$, thought it was landing in US measurements when it's retro rocket thruster was setup in metric.. Whoop-whoop-pull up---pull up... Kaboom!

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I especially enjoyed the photo where the galactic gas clouds formed the words OFF TOPIC. (Hint for the next posting of space photos in the GENERAL DISCUSSION area: mention the HORSE HEAD nebula!)

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Wow, amazing stuff, thanks!

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow. Thanks i love Astronomy.

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    rico, it was nothing like that. The lenses produced something called a spherical aberration. It's a well known phenomenon that most first year physics students learn about. The fact that such a glaringly obvious problem was not accounted for was the problem...it was fixed by that all-important NASA mission that put the space program back in favour with the politicians. NASA had been close to losing major funding until that repair mission.

That the repair mission was accomplished successfully was truly amazing. The astronauts that did the space walks were wearing gloves that made it impossible to feel the screws they were using. And one of them even dropped a critical, irreplaceable screw. Miraculously, he managed to catch it again. It's unbelievable how these guys stay so cool under so much pressure.

11. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was us British that were at fault for the Hubble problem. Can't remeber why, but sorry!

12. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron