FerrariChat.com needs help with 1/4 page color print ad... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com needs help with 1/4 page color print ad...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As you have seen in the past, we've always had 1/8th page b/w ads in Cavallino and Forza. I want to go to 1/4 page color ads.

I would like to hear the advice of all you marketers out there and graphics people. Here are the specs...

3.5 by 4.75 inches
    Format EPS or BMP
    CMYK mode

As far as content, my initial thinking is...

1) I like my current simple b/w 1/8th ads. It basically just says FerrariChat.com. Maybe keep a black border/background and have the same white FerrariChat.com across the top so it's familiar.
    2) I would like to integrate a screen shot in the ad.
    3) I would like to integrate a picture of the Challenge car in the ad.
    4) Only text might be "#1 Online Ferrari Community in the World"

I just started thinking about this, so I'm open to any ideas. I also like when images are watermarked as a background, but since there's not that much text that might not be best.

Thanks,
    rob

2. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

are you soliciting a free photoshop mock up from one of the members?

surely one of you guys can do this!

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Rob,

As you can see from this mock-up below, I am most definitely not a graphics person, but here is my $0.02. Note - anything resembling orange is actually supposed to be rosso corsa. I like the clean simple look and the screen cap is a nice idea. I'm not sure how the Challenge car would look - maybe someone can mock that up

ok - have no idea why I keep getting the "red x" - will try again later

4. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    Hey Rob,

Please contact me regarding your ad. I think we can help.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not seeing your attachment.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Any help would be appreciated. I can do it myself, but thought I could get some good advice and maybe some of the graphics people could give some examples. In the past when I've asked for graphics help I usually get 20 responses and submissions, so I can't use everything, but I think the end product will be great. Thanks.

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    If nobody else can do it, let me know! I think I have a pretty good idea of what your talking about.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Rob, although slightly o/t on this but...

When people come here and register, there should be a question on how they found the site, be it through a friend, randomly effing around on the internet or your ad in Forza, this way you know just how well the ad is doing... Have you ever considered that...? Is there a down side to asking that question that i'm just not thinking about...?

i think it should be a mandatory question, too, this way you know... Make it a drop-down, multiple choice kinda thing, you know...?

"Where'd you hear about FerrariChat.com...?
    Forza
    Friend
    Other (dealership, mentioned on another website, etc.)"

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Good idea, but we should just ask it as a poll. We really only care about how the current active users got here anyway. I'll do it right now.

10. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Rob- whiped this up real quick (TIFF/EPS available.) I got a kick out of it :) (even better with the same framing, but the Fchat challenge car in that garage in print res)

Rob may feel free to use this withought restriction, free of charge.

Best!
    Ben.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ohhh my gosh this is so damn funny! I love it. I might just do it the first month, the really funny part is most really won't realize or believe that's my "garage" and car.

12. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon

Lol, glad you like it! That's exactly what I was thinking, that most people would find it funny enough to get a good chuckle and check out the site, and there'd be a few insiders 'in the know' who would be roling on the floor ;)

If you've got a ~2k version of that pic let me know and I can put it in print res.

Best!
    Ben.

13. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Ben, that is HILARIOUS! That ad gets my vote immediately :)

14. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    ben

great idea! i love it

trevi

15. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Rob,

You can contact Jason here at DexM - he has an art degree in design and does all of our print ads. He can probably get you some samples of his work. We'd do it for free as a return favor since you allowed us to post that we sell Hill Engineering's and Valence's parts.

PM me or contact him through our website. Hope we can help.

Regards,
    Brent

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    last try - not only am I not a graphics person, apparently I can't upload a simple picture. Okay it finally worked. This is the general idea I was thinking of Rob (of course, the orange is supposed to be rosso corsa).

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, Rob, what makes FerrariChat any different from Ferrari-Talk or FerrariBanter or Ferrarichewthefat or Ferrarishootthebreeze or...

If one sees an ad, that's exactly what they might say to themselves...

Why not ask some of the users here if they'd mind that you advertised something about them - not necessarily drop names, just mention events or projects...

"FerrariChat.com - The only site on the web where you can watch the restoration of a Ferrari 330/P4."

...or something like that...

Or mention something about the sponsors;

"Exclusive FerrariChat.com discounts with our sponsors when you register."

...or something like that... Just brainstorming here... (Yeah, get an umbrella, it could get messy...:))

18. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    like the one Arthart made...(perhaps some minor ajustments...). But some other thing came on my mind. When you make the add with a screenshot of this site you can also see one banner. You could ask your advertisers (just one has to say yes) if they want to contribute a minor deal of the add.costs.
    I work at an advertesments agency, as a graphical designer, and see that all the time!

good luck with the add! :)

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy