355 Ownership : Help for a Novice please! | FerrariChat

355 Ownership : Help for a Novice please!

Discussion in '348/355' started by oilman, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oilman

oilman Guest

I am a Scot who has dreamed of owning a Ferrai all his life. I have had most other cars at one time or another and currently am on my 4th 911 ( a 993 C4).
    I use it as my everyday car, and I am aware that if I buy a 355 berlinetta(the model I want) I will not be able to use it every day. thus I will buy a normal run of the mill car for my daily commute in town.
    I am very interested in learning as much about the ups and downs of 355 ownership as possible before I take the plunge. Any comments would be greatly welcome. eg what should I try to limit my annual mileage to (if at all), what should I be looking for in a 355 to buy ( obviously cambelt serviced) etc.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Well, there is a wealth of information in the archives about the 355 and the things you are asking about.

If depreciation is not a concern you can easily use a 355 as a daily driver. It will be more expensive to run than your 993 but you allready knew that.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with lots of info for you.

Welcome to FChat!

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  4. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I was also a long-term Porsche guy (4-911, 1-928, 1-944) untill last year. Purhchased an as-new 98 F355 Berlinetta F1.

I'm not a Porsche guy anymore. Ha Ha.

I do not use my Fcar as a daily driver. I prefer to use the car when I can truly enjoy it, good weather, certain destinations, length of drive, etc. While you can certainly drive the 355 every day, I personally feel an additonal primary car is a good idea.

Welcome, check the archives as noted and you will find a wealth of info.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I recently purchased a 355 Berlinetta and I have to agree with the other posts here. While you could certainly use the car every day, I prefer to use it on nice days for wonderful drives. I wouldn't limit your annual mileage before hand. Just drive it when you want to. I think that I will probably put between 4k and 5k miles on my car this year but it might end up being as little as 3k. It's just too hard to tell. At any rate, the 355 is a fantastic Ferrari and I feel that right now is a great time to buy one.