Tubi exhaust | FerrariChat

Tubi exhaust

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zjpj, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I noticed that the previous owner of Dr.Tax's 550 had a Tubi installed and then uninstalled about a year later, with the stock exhaust put back on. I was wondering if Dr.Tax knew why this was done. Has anyone else had an aftermarket product put on and then had second thoughts? Specifically, does the Tubi get to be a bit much after a while - a bit too loud in the lower RPMs?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I suppose it depends on your taste. I like loud cars so I put a Tubi on my 512TR & the cats are hollow so its nice & loud, scares people :) Now my 512TR race car has No muffler at all :)

Jeff Mckee, the Pres of FCA Florida said he put a tubi on his Viper & it sounded like a redneck trying to speak Italian :)

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

I FITTED TUBI ON 360 AND NEVER REGRET IT

4. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i think most people remove it b/c they think it's too loud or the resonance at certain rpm's bothers them. i haven't heard many people complain about the actual sound.

that said, i love the tubi - can't imagine not having on the 360 (or any fcar for that matter)!

5. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    I installed the Tubi cannister on my '01 360 and loved it. Later I also installed the Tubi test pipes to replace the cats. Those came from Heiko (a sponsor on this board). That change was spectacular. My business partners say they can hear me coming for blocks. It is very resonant between 2-3 thousand RPM. When I want it to be quiet I try to find speeds that are at 3100 RPM; like (and I am guessing from memory) 3nd gear = 35-40 mph; 4rd gear = 55mph, 5th gear = 65mph, and 6th = 75mph. I like driving down Main Street between the tall buildings in 2nd gear at 2500 RPM (the most resonant) and watching bricks fall off the building facades. I'm not sure if I get more smiles because of the artistic style of the body, because its a Ferrari, or because of the sound; but its definitely a Trifecta. I think that we have solved the engine check light with a part # 104037 from www.casperselectronics.com $98 for two + shipping. Will post after I am certain this is the fix. Next I think I'll gut the cats on the '01 996TT if I can reprogram the chip to forget the OBD2 oxygen sensor stuff.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I had one installed on my 360 and feel that it is totally worth it. The sound I believe is the only enhancement, as I think that you probably lose horse power as a result of it. That's the reason I ran into a wall when I tried to get accurate stats on performance improvements. I personally think that the car ran better with the stock exhaust.

Considering that you never get your $$ back from an added accessory, the Tubi is the only thing I plan to do.

The Tubi does resonate a bit at lower RPM's but it is kinda cool when you're pulling in somewhere.

7. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    It seems that owners of 355/360 generally like the TUBI wheas owners of 550 and 456 tend to take them off after a time- more often than not.

In my opinion, the tubi does not suit the character of these cars

8. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I had the Tubi installed on my 355 when I purchased it and I LOVE it. After that I noticed some rattling from the Driver's side Cat. I pulled my cats (did not take very long as I did not pull the rear bumper) and put on the Tubi test pipes. Now the sound is INCREDIBLE. It is not too loud for my taste and with a Spider (top down) the resonance is not that bad. It is however a bit more smelly. I have driven it about 4 times and I do not have a Check Engine Light. Even if I do get one I recently purchased a OBDII scanner for $99.00. Now I can pull codes and reset my Check Engine Light in 20 seconds! I am definitely leaving my car the way that it sits (Tubi/test pipes). It is awesome!

9. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    The most recent Tubis for the 575 have been redesigned to decrease the resonance. Earlier 550/575 tubi owners were complaining of the resonance. My guess is that it is less popular on the 575 series because it is perceived as a more sedate automobile then the 360. However, given the penchant for this bunch of wrench turning yahoos (of which I am proudly one), its impossible for us not to take something apart. The prime purpose of a good mechanic is then to reassemble after I "desemble". Ergo, my logic runs thus: take off the cats and straight pipe them through the stock 575 cans and see what happens. Be prepared for that accursed engine check light. We are currently seeking OBD2 oxygen "simulators" for the 360, 575, and 996TT series. Any help would be most appreciated. BTW, the Porsche guys were wrong about putting in a 15,000 Ohm resistor in the aft oxygen sensor wire. It didn't work. According to CaspersElectronics, the forward sensor reads at a faster rate than the rear sensor. (All way over my head). So still slogging along in the dark. Will post after the 360 fix.

10. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    Where can we get the obd II scanner, how much, and how does it work. thanks

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I'v seen a 550 Maranello with tubi exhaust not too long ago, and I can tell you the sound was amazing.
    I agree with gripet when he said Tubi exhaust on the 575 are less popular.

12. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd more or less agree with this. I couldn't get enough of the Tubi on my 360, but decided that a Tubi was just too much on the 456 and not 'in character'. Having said that, the stock sound of the V12s is far too subdued for my tastes, so mine wears a Koenig (which I'm told is a Fuchs with the word 'Koenig' etched on it), and gives it some low down growl and a higher pitch at higher rpm. Even my wife, who isn't that gone on loud cars, thought the stock V12 sound was fairly underwhelming.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    i had a stock exhaust on my spider to begin with and changed to tubi with test pipes after 18 mths....the transformation was incredible;so much so it felt like i was driving a different car! its all down to perception and personal taste but i wouldn't go back to stock at all now.
    having said that, the de-cat setup is not to everyone's liking as it is v. loud at anything over 2.5 rpm..i went with a bunch of fellow-f-chat guys to goodwood race track recently and all but 1 of us had tubi/borla exhausts.we were noise tested prior to going on track and the 355 decat tubis registered over 110 db[off the scale!], 360 was 109db and 512 108db.noise threshold that day was 105 db.
    tony

14. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal

I bought my at Kragen for $99.00, as it was on sale from $129.00. The model is the Equus 3100. I put the two AAA baterries in it (came with the scanner), plugged it in to the OBDII terminal down by my right knee, hit the "Link" button and it pulled the codes. Any codes that are P(Zero)... are generic and the scanner comes with a book listing the P(zero codes). The P (one) codes are manufacturer specific and you will have one heck of a time decoding those. I would write down all the codes so you have a record.

Next, I hit the "Clear" button, and kabam, all the codes were gone and my MIL went off.

PS, you will want to scan and clear codes while the engine is running!

15. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    thanks, I shoot over to their website

16. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    okay Equus 3100 ordered from www.partsamerica.com. should be here in 5-10 days. thanks for the input will repost after clearing codes.

17. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
  18. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    It was amazing how easy it was to pull and clear codes. The "Standard" cable/adapter that was supplied plugged right in.

I am actually going to leave mine in my car, so in the event I get a Check Engine Light on the road, I will be able to pull codes a reset the light. I hope that they are only P(Zero) codes, because if they are P(one) I will not know WTF they are coded to mean.

Best of luck and post the results after you clear your codes.

19. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Also, once you are hooked up to your car, and you have hit "Link", MAKE SURE that you scrool down to pull ALL of the codes. If you read the first one, and then hit "Delete", it will erase ALL of the codes and you will have no record.

20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

Are you saying that you simply disconnected the cat plus front/rear oxygen sensors and run your car like that?

During “normal” operation the engine operates in closed loop control, i.e. depending on the front sensors signal indicating the concentration of unburnt oxygen in the exhaust gas the ECU adjusts the air/fuel mixture in the intake.

I am not sure what type of magical black box CaspersElectronics has developed but man do I hope they do not fool around with the air/fuel mixture while cheating the ECU into thinking that there is a sensor. They need to cheat the rear sensor signal too since it is there to check the aging of the cat as well as of the front sensor. All I can see is that the two boxes contain the hopefully smart solution to keep the sensor signal at the stabilized (battery voltage independent) Voltage level that indicates Lambda=1 that expresses optimum air/fuel mixture. A resistor will not cut it.

The system operates in open mode if the sensor or engine is not at operating temperature, you floor the throttle, at rpm’s above 4000, or if the sensors fail. The ECU will use its internal mapping to determine the fuel / air in that mode.

Driving with the check engine light on in that situation sounds “better” to me than to produce a false sensor signal that by no means can take the engine state into account. The best approach to me is to get an ECU that is re-programmed to ignore the sensors, i.e. runs only in open mode. Added value is that the mapping can be optimized for better performance since the cat is out of the picture.

21. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    My Boxer has a full Tubi exhaust including headers. I have never heard a Boxer with stock exhaust but I think the car sounds great. It isnt so loud that it hurts your ears, but my friend said he heard me coming from 4 blocks away.... perfect.

22. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I have a Tubi on my 2000 360.

GET ONE! it's music to your ears!

Nothing is ever TOO LOUD for a Ferrari. I have heard numerous comments from my friends that they can hear my car blocks away. :)

23. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Now this is an interesting point!

I have had the benefit of a dyno and rolling road to work oin the 355 with obd2.

When you remove the cats there is a loss of torque accross the range and it seems that the ecu substitutes values that are far from optimum. ie. on our car, it ran weak at high revs. So I have never been convinced on removing the cats for this reason.

If you do this on a 996 latest spec, it will go into limp home mode!

I would not want to fancy my chances with an obd2 replicator unless the guys really knew the motronic set up, and few people REALLY know it!

24. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Although I do not fully agree with the theory, here is the deal with the simulators: On most cars the O2 sensors remains in the test pipe and functions, more or less as a "Plug". It does not get connected to the ECU or the O2 Simulator. The Sim gets plugged into the harness where the O2 Sensors were plugged in to originally. The main "Puprpose" of the o2 Simulator is to keep the Check Engine Light from coming on. One it is annoying, and second per the Sim Manufacturer," once the Check Engine Light comes on the ECU sends out a signal to richen up the air/fuel mixture". "This is done to cool the engine". I am thinking about that statement and the first thing that comes to mind is that overly rich air/fuel means HOTTER cat temps. Again, per the manufacturer, the Sim prevents the MIL from coming on and will compensate (lean out) a signal from the ECU to overly richen up the air/fuel mixture.

The other thing that comes to mind is if you did not get the Sims and you left the O2 Sensors connected, the reading that the O2 sensors are getting is that it thinks the exaust is rich (because there is no catalyst to reburn the fuel). Therefore, it would send a signal to the ECU to LEAN OUT the air/fuel mixture. The Tubi Test Pipes have bungs to leave both O2 Sensors in and 1 for the Thermocouple. Again, I think leaving the O2 sensors in the pipes and connected may cause a lean condition.

25. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    hi guys,

I have Tubi straight pipes fitted to my 550 maranello and I can't imagine ever switching back to stock. The sound is awesome and transforms the whole driving experience. With straight pipes you get less resonance and they are cheaper than the full Tubi. The kids in my neighborhood literally come running like bees to honey when I fire up in my driveway. The whole high street rubber necks on a saturday afternoon and you can see people almost mouthing...Holy sh** when I rumble past. Its an earthquake on wheels when you fire up to 6K RPM in 2nd.

I live for the sound.

Zak