any tall 550 owner's with modified seats?? | FerrariChat

any tall 550 owner's with modified seats??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Thatsmytoy, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Anybody have 550 seats that were modifed to allow extra headroom...by bolting seat to floor or removing stuffing??? Or does anybody know someone that has?? MY head touches the roof---no convertible jokes allowed!!!

6'6" in San Diego

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, but I'd love to hear more responses to this thread. At 6'2", I have to move the visor to the side to clear my line of vision. FOH told me that bolting does work. Plus, you can get the racing seats, but be prepared to spend some $$$$.

Dr "Almost To Tall" Tax

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I have heard of the 456 seats modified for basketball players.
    They get them done at the dealership. Something about the sensors in the seats have to be moved or reprogramed.

hopefully it would work for the 550.

Good Luck guys.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I am 6' 4", and have no problem. I like to drive with the seat bolt upright...and even so, I still have ~1-2 inches of clearance above my head.

When I track the car, with a helmet, I need to tilt the seat back slightly, but not much.

5. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pat at FOC refered me to Fernando at Prestige Upholstery in N.Hollywood for seat modification. They handle all Ferrari leather work for FOC. I talked to Fernando today and he said there is 2" of foam in the seat bottom of a 550(or did he just say Fcars in general??) and usually takes out 1" which still leaves the seat comfortable. It costs about $300-350 and takes 2 days. This obviously gives you 1' of additional headroom, which is what I want. He said he has installed rail extenders to increase legroom. But I think he was refering to other models..the 550 doesnt go back past current rails due to the shelf behind the seat.
    But he did say he could bolt the seat to the floor for additional headroom instead of, or in addition to the seat bottom foam removal...whatever it takes to give me proper headroom. So i'm kinda happy about that in my quest for my 1st Ferrari...the 550. Now... red or silver????
    And contrary to published stats..yesterday I sat in several different years of 550's at FOC and the 1997 had less legroom than the 2001.

And finally...Fernando mentioned he had a 550 Barchetta in for top repair...somebody had sliced it up.. ouch*
    Bill in San Diego

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

shaq had that done - took out the backseats so his 456 was just a 2 seater.