355 Timing belt replacement procedure. | FerrariChat

355 Timing belt replacement procedure.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rossocorsa, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Interested in replacing the belts on my 355,can anyone help with the tensioning procedure?Believe ferrari specify a sonic adjustment procedure at a frequency of 200-220hz, is this correct?Also is the belt tension set first and then the pins pulled on the hydraulic tensioners?Obviously I don't have access to a workshop manual.Finally have been told I can drop the fuel tank to do this job is this correct/practical.Any help appreciated...

Regards, Alexander.

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

GOOD LUCK!!

Drop the tank, then get to the belts.
    Ferrari uses a device to check belt tension, name starts with an S.
    It has a roller , two flat pieces , and a dial guage.
    You could ask your dealer.

There also is a sonic type of device, but I don't know of anyone at a dealer that even uses them.

The trick is to get the belts/timing marks lined up. Then adjust tension noting how the pins are, they should still be loose after rotating the engine 3 times.

The most recommended, is to remove the subframe and work on the engine on the frame stand. That way you have the engine out and can inspect everything.

3. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    They use a Staeger Tensiometer.

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    A Steager guage is used only on the aux. drive belts on a 355. Cam belt tension is set by pin hole alaignment and a clearance measurement between the tensioner body and bearing support. Check your manual for details.

5. rossocorsa

rossocorsa Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Thanks guys,trying to source a manual/cd-rom.I am in uk and trying to get a hold of technical data is very hard,make that impossible...

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins

You can get download the workshop manual from the Ferrari owners site

www.owners.ferrari.com

7. ferrarokid

ferrarokid Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    if you guys are removing the tank ...how are you taking off the bolt on the crankshaft pulley ?? I think you need to at "least" loosen the crank bolt to slide the front pulley foward, to get enough room to get the belts past the cogs ? ?

8. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K

Correction!

The F355 Workshop manuals are NOT downloadable from the Ferrari Owner's Website...Only the User's Manuals (some technical info is included in them) are available to download there.....If you're planing to do any work on your car (engine, suspension, brakes etc), then you'll need to buy the Workshop manuals in CD-ROM format or hardcopy. Most the sponsors carry them.

VK

9. ferrarokid

ferrarokid Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    I guess nobody has done this ? ?

10. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Haha,

Very true.
    You would have to get the damn thing (engine)dropped at least six inches to get the pully off.

If anyone says they are doing it with the engine in, they are not changing the timing belts!!! There is not enough room due to the pulley and frame distance. Also,there is almost no way to lossen the pulley bolt anyway..