Car Selling Help: Out of State Buyer / Cashiers Check | FerrariChat

Car Selling Help: Out of State Buyer / Cashiers Check

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by karmavore, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Someone just made me an offer to buy my car out of state sight unseen. Wants to send a cashiers check and a truck to pick it up. What do I need to look out for (other than a check from a Nigerian bank :) ) ?

What if he gets it and does not like it? Can I get f_cked?

Luke.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E

Why not a wire transfer? Let the banks deal w/ it. Seems to me the only way to get burned is the truck takes off w/ your car before the funds clear your bank.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't think a dissatisfied used car customer can affect your love life, unless you're dating his sister!

I would think your bank could help with this, confirming funds available or legitimate check, whichever.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Is the amount the same as your asking price? If it is then good. If it is more and he wants you to give the rest to another friend of his then I say run. It sound scammy but it might be legit.

5. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    No he's an American in the Army -- email address proves that. I think it's legit. I'm mostly afriad of: "hey, there's a rock chip on the fender... take it back!"

Luke.

6. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I AGREE WITH JIM.

A WIRE TRANSFER TO YOUR BANK.WHEN THE BANK SAYS ITS COLLECTED AND KOSHER, THE DEAL IS DONE.VERY SIMPLE,,,,I DO IT 5X A DAY.............

BUYER BEWARE IF THE BUYERS OBJECTS..............

7. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Just remember that someone here posted they got a fake cashiers check on a legitimate account and lost the money....

Wire transfer is best...

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I ALSO RECIEVED A FAKE CHECK BUT I WAS ABLE TO GET THE BANK IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FROM ( A REAL ONE ) AND THE us tREASURY department involved. FELONY! he aint going to see the light of the sun for some time!

1) cashiers checks can be checked by your bank or you by contacting the issueing bank.
    2) cashiers checks CAN HAVE THE PAYMENT STOPPED BY SOME BANKS i have seen this a few times, all of which resulted in lawsuits
    # wire thransfer is the best.
    3) cashiers checks have to "clear" your bank just like a personal one. i would allow time to pass before the truck comes for your car.
    4) i am in the middle of selling off some of my cars to get a 308. other than a small deposit of $500. 00 i specify the rest be paid in cash in person. questions ??/ problems with my terms??? THEN DONT BUY MY CARS, I WILL WAIT!!! the in person part allows the buyer a chance to see , hear and smell the car. if they dont like it i give them the deposit back. no questions. no bull$hit.
    4) my bill of sale has stood up i court.
    " i ( my name) am selling one ( car info) vin # , miles, state title and title number IN AS IS, WHERE IS CONDITION, NO WARRANTIES OR INSURANCE IS GIVEN OR IMPLIED. " signed and dated with full names and addresses verified by photo ID.
    5) as a cash buyer i know that older cars , aircraft ect will need work and have some " issues" some people as buyers cant seem to grasp this. IF ITS 30 YEARS OLD , YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY! lol.
    sorry for the rant, but i have been though hell. hope i can save someone some headaches. michael

9. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks man. Sincerely. That was helpful. I don't think cash will work in this case, but a wire does seem like a good idea. Any issues giving out your banking info to someone?

Also, would you mind sending me your bill of sale to ...copy? :) If not I understand. If so, it would be very much appreciated!!

Luke.

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

LUCAS NEVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR GIVE OUT YOUR ACCT #...TO THE BUYER ,INSTEAD GIVE HIM YOUR BANK NAME, OFFICERS NAME, AND TEL #......AND HAVE HIM CALL THE BANK....ARRANGE WITH THE OFFICER THAT SOMEONE WILL BE CALLING...........

BRUCE

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yes, ditto what Bruce said. i have no problem sending it ( the bill of sale) to you. to be honest i type it up in the PC and print out 2 copies, one for me and one for them . the names are filled in by hand , while all the car data ect is on the pc so there is no " i cant read this number ?"? crap later. i am not a lawyer, and i have only had a problem with someone 1 time, but the lawyer guys thought this was " good enough" since i came up with it all by my self. i hope your car is not the blue 400i for sale in north ga, i have been wanting to call on that as the last several cars i have called about were gone or junk!!! seriously best of luck to you and PM me if i can be of help, i have free long distance if you need to chat. michael

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Email addresses don't really prove anything, as the address inside the message is trival to spoof. The routing information in the header is a bit more indicative, but not conclusive either.

How about if you prepare a Purchase and Sales Agreement with the vehicle condition clearly spelled out, and have him sign it and mail (USPS) it back? If you get a Nigerian postmark, then run away. If US (or APO), then maybe it's on the level.

(The lawyers on the list will probably tell you why having the condition in the P&S won't shield you completely. But then, the lawyers here can fight "airtight" agreements well enough that they drive Ferraris. ;))

13. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

:) Ture, true... I guess you can sue anyone for anything anytime so you have to just have a little luck and trust.

re: email address. If I send a letter to his address [email protected] I'm pretty sure that qualifies as valid.

re: 400I No, the car is the one in my profile. The Passat.

Thanks again guys!!

Luke.