Tire Flatspotting Product??? | FerrariChat

Tire Flatspotting Product???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Greg G, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I recall seeing this product advertised in FORZA, and wanted to suggest it to a friend. Before doing so, I was hoping someone here may have tried these already and can lend feedback if the claims are legit or not.

http://www.tirecradle.com/Default.htm

thanks,
    Greg

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee the rest of the world simply drive their cars often enough that this is not an issue.

Musuems on the other hand use jack stands, because their cars are mostly now static forms of art and they do not want the tyres to crack and look ugly ...

In the end if you are using your car so infrequently that you need something like this then the tyres are probably in a bad way anyway. Rubber ages and I would not want to drive say an F40 that had been sitting (jacked up or not) without NEW tyres.

Old tyres are dangerous, simple as that ... so you might as well use the car and wear them out like the tyre and car designer intended.

Pete

3. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    My cars go into storage for the winter and spend 5 to 6 months there. I've used tirecradles for the past three years and I'm very pleased with them. No signs of any flat spotting at all.

4. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    I purchased an 84 Trans Am that sat for 10 years without moving. The new tires had such bad flat spots that I couldn't keep them on. A shame as they were the original gator backs from Goodyear. Anyway, I have new ones on, but wonder,

I don't see nor have I had trouble with a car the was put away in November and taken out at the first pleasant day, March or April. I hope that the few months in storage won't do damage to the tires. If there is no snow or ice (rain) around, I'll drive them around the block or further in the middle of winter.

anyway, so it has been my experience. I have four collector cars so it's a concern.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Pete I understand what you are saying, but constant use is not always feasible, especially when dealing with 8+ cars. The cars are by no means garage queens, and the flatspotting issue particularly arose on his F40 fitted with Michelin Pilot Sports.

I appreciate your input Tom.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I guess I do not understand what it is like to live in a country that snows ... hardly even seen snow.

I also am not wealthy enough to even consider a large collection of cars, and always imagined that 3 cars would be a nice collection for me.

Thus I guess if the product works it is easier than using jack stands ;)

Pete

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Wow those things seem kind of expensive!

8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I met this fellow several years ago and He is legit. Lives about a half hour from me here in York County, PA. The cradles work but, I drive often enough not to need them. Yeah, they're not cheap and neither are the tires they help preserve.

9. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Granat, you probably won't be driving this weekend! More is coming. I'm in York county right now (work) unfortunately.

10. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. Inter911

Inter911 Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Tires flat spot over night up here when it gets to minus 40. Then the bead breaks as you drive off leaving you stranded with a flat tire...top and bottom. Solution is to increase air pressure. If I drive south on the highways I then reduce the pressure to manufacturers recommendations.

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Where do you live where it gets to -40 ? Russia :)

13. BEK355

BEK355 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    LANCASTER,PA.
    Full Name:
    BRUCE KRONMAN
    I thought about using the Tire Cradles but they seemed expensive. A friend of mine suggested using carpet remnants. I bought 12 square carpets, three for each tire, and park the car on them. They have sewn edges and are about 4' by 2'. They work great, have had no flat spots and cost $1 each.