348 valve removal tool | FerrariChat

348 valve removal tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spider348, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Pulled the heads on my 348 spider. Plan to do a top end job while the motor is out of the Ferrari. Problem is I cannot locate a suitable valve spring compressor to remove the valves. My old C clamp style compressor is made for exposed valve spring type heads. Snap On also lists a tool for exposed springs but none that I can find for recessed springs. A source for the correct tool would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can make the tool out of an old socket if you can't find one. Ask an engine shop or give snap-on tools a call. They should be able to get you what you need.

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Tbakowsky, thank you. Snap On does sell a “Tool, Overhead Valve” #GA318A. This is an impact type tool used with a soft face hammer, magnetically retains the keepers. Looks like I could remove easily with this tool. My concern is assembly. Never used this type of tool, only the old “C” clamp tool on American V-8’s.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Have you checked your local motorcycle shops? They have plenty of small overhead cam valve engines. They must have a C-clamp type for this, or a source for the tool.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Did your snap on tool work for your valve removal?

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    No Doubt, I ended up buying a SnapOn “C” type valve removal tool as used on American V-8’s. The correct tool was on backorder for an extended period if I recall correctly. I fabricated a hard rubber spacer to cover the valve face from mats in my basement gym to prevent any damage to the valve face or soft aluminum combustion chamber. As suggested by tbakowsky: To remove the below head surface valve springs, keepers etc I bought a craftsman long socket with an OD slightly smaller than the bore in the head. Cut a long rectangular slot in the side to allow access to the keepers. Compressed the assembly, removed keepers, released and disassembled. Reversed the procedure to assemble. Worked fine.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thank you.