irratic gauges in a 355 | FerrariChat

irratic gauges in a 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ima2nr, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ima2nr

ima2nr Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    atlanta ga
    Full Name:
    kevin prickett
    last month my oil pressure gauge stopped working (unless you go full throttle, then it goes all the way past 100 psi until you drive normal, then it is dead again)
    well yesterday my oil tempeture gauge fell silent also, but today it was working sporadically. specifically, the gauge is dead untill I get into the throttle just a little, then it starts jumping around between 0-190 degrees. It continued this all the way to work (30 miles). when I came to a stop, the temp gauge stopped, when I accellerated, it acted almost like a sporadic tachometer through each gear.

Welcome to my pain... anyone have any suggestions?

I'm guessing a loose ground wire somewhere? possibly FNA has a voodo doll/car like mine and the're poking it with pins right now?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Sounds like you are loosing a ground connection some where.

3. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Chech the wires from the sender to the harness for bare spots. Temp gauges that lose power and then short to ground max out and shut off sporadically with engine movement. Check connections at the sender for the pressure also. this may be loose or grounding too. Does th oil light turn on and off with the ignition?

4. ima2nr

ima2nr Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    atlanta ga
    Full Name:
    kevin prickett
    yes, the oil light works fine... I checked that first thing when it started malfunctioning.

It's gonna be a month or two before I can check the harness as you suggested. I spun out and smaked a curb a few days ago, and broke both passenger side wheels, front bumper, and broke the rear lower A-arm + the CV axle. It's at the dealership now.

Thanks for the advice...

5. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    has some strange electrical issues with my dash lights, check the rear of the forward fuse panel. I had a grouping of wires from the harness with damaged insulation - found problem but it took a while