Thanks Paulie B, i was almost scamed. | FerrariChat

Thanks Paulie B, i was almost scamed.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chaa, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Bloody hell its just clicked, and i mean just. Paulie B posted a scam warning on another thread,and i did not realise i was being lined up. This is how it goes. I have a v8 twin turbo engine for sale on the v8 forum. I gave a full description ect. Then last week i had mail and a TOM WOODasked about the goods for sale and how much, i did think it strange and mailed him back and asked him where he had seen the add, another email came and he harped on about he was an agent working on behalf of a client.So i sent my name and address becourse he wanted to send me a bankers draft. So at 9.30pm uk time tonight another email came through and he was talking about someone oweing him £6800 and he was going to send it direct to me so that i could take my £300 and use the rest for shipment and giveing the remainder to the courier. THEN i loged on to Ferrari chat and what was the heading "beware of scam", F**K me silly this is me right now Dudes, his Email is JOJO.com. It all makes sense now, i asked him to tell me where he was from and thought it strange that he did not answer. F**kin Ell , Thanks Paulie B. Thanks very much.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thats great chaa, i love it when a good guy wins for a change! i had a call this weekend from a guy trying to pull the same thing (more or less) for my vette that is for sale. he got way mad when i told him cash, paid in full in person or i will wait till the right person comes along. he wanted me to do the " i send you extra money and you send it here crap" too. F_ _K all of these scammers, and people wonder why i dont play well with others!

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    since this is happening more and more, and guys with money (hence, ferrari guys) are a likely target, what should be done on the side where there is control?

things that could be possible - restricting emailing individuals? nah, even if that was done where an email form was server side, that would entice spam to users and Rob. other thing that could easily be done, just a warning from Rob - not so much a disclaimer, but more in lines with warnings when posting ads up there. that might help some who aren't familiar with the 419 scams.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That ones getting pretty common.....the way to aviod all the versions is just common sense, always wait for the check to clear, even if it looks like a bank check. Once you say that you are not a check clearing house and they will have to wait for the check to clear your account, you will not hear back from them.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    glad I helped you. post this SOB's email address and LETS ALL send him a real nasty message back.
    feel free to express yourself to the thief that tried me:
    [email protected]

GIVE IT TO HIM GOOD!

If anyone out there lives in Nigeria........and wants to make some extra $$....let me know!

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

www.scamorama.com

Where the "lads from Lagos" get a taste of their own medicine. Read some of the stunts that people have made them do........it's great.

7. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Reading the way the this scam works it seems in part to rely on the US banking laws (or codes) to hide the fact that no money has actually been sent.

If I understand correctly part of it goes along the lines that the cheque sent from overseas does not clear at the US bank but the bank nevertheless clears the money to you. You send goods (they appear to be paid for as the money is in your account) and think the job well done. Later the bank recovers the money from your ac**** as the cheque they received doesn't clear so your bank wants the money back.

This part is very hard to work around without you knowing your bank very well and ensuring that your bank actually has the money for the goods. To avoid problems here talk to your bank.

The second part of the scam will work anywhere. This is the - I'll send you more money that the goods are costing part, you credit me/somebody else. This part can be avoided by simply not accepting an overpayment or keeping the overpayment yourself until the whole transaction is complete (see the bank part)