To NYC Ferrari owners (esp Hubert888)... | FerrariChat

To NYC Ferrari owners (esp Hubert888)...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by lesterm, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    How does your car drive in the city? Are potholes a serious problem? Also, do you drive your car during the winter?

I am giving serious thought to a used 360 Modena but am having a hard time convincing myself that it is actually, for lack of a better word, practical. I have a G-wag to drive when I need to; however, the thought of letting a second car sit in a $500 a month garage spot for months is something that does not appeal to me. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

2. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Lesterm: get used to scratched front bumper and sudden stops... city's roads are rough on a Ferrari, but cautious driving will get you out of most of the trouble.

3. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    you are out of your mind. Ferraris are not particularly well made and your 360 will become a rattlebox. Keep your G500 and if you want a 360 keep it out of the city and use it out of the city.

Rob

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The basic thing one has to do when owning a Ferrari in Manhattan is just to use COMMON SENSE. Yes there are pot holes and sink holes all around the roads in the city. But over the past few years, the roads in Manhattan have been repaved and are a lot better. I personally feel a lot safer this year than compared to 3 years ago when I drive my 360 at night in Manhattan. I do not worry too much about potholes now. Just keep at least 2 cars distance in front of you so you can see the road just in case.

I drive my 360 in the winter time only when it isnt snowing on the ground. One time I drove my 360 when it was very slick (snow and rain combination) and it was damn scary. I clicked on the "slick road conditions" button (the car never goes below 2nd gear) and still the car hydroplaned every time I accelerated from a complete stop. But basically the main reason why I prefer not to drive when it snows is because I do have the means to wash my car all the time after I drive to get the salt off from my car.

I have not driven my 360 in an actual snowy situation and do not plan to. However, I have seen 550s and other F-cars drive in the snow in Manhattan.

I have cracked 2 rims so far since 2000 which is not that bad. My brother who owns a Porsche C4 has had like 5 flat tires in the city already since 2000 and I have had none myself. I dont have any scratches on my car from bad road conditions. If I do they are on the scrap plate underneath the bumper but who cares about that :) The only nicks I have are from rocks which fly and hit my bumper at high speeds when I drive on the highway.

Parking is a b*tch. Everywhere you go you will always have to find a nice spot to park it. But I guess that goes along with any exotic sports car and not just Ferraris.

If you can afford the 360 along with the parking, I see no reason as to you not buying one for yourself. I am not sure if you have actually driven a 360 yet, but if you do....I'm sure that you have already made up your mind that you will definitely get one no matter where you live. :)

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I park at the edge of Manhattan (W42 at the West side highway) and do rarely drive in Manhattan. I usually directly turn onto the West side highway and drive out of town. The advantage of a Daytona is that it does not have a big and low front overhang. No scraping curbs and getting stuck on ramps. I drive all year round, have driven in rain (not on purpose), but never in snow.

Rijk

6. Enzo Ferrari

Enzo Ferrari Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    Rijk, do you happen to live in RiverPlace? I used to live there when I had my Porsche 996 Turbo (Seal Grey) and I remember seeing your car parked a few spots closer to the attendant's booth. My car was parked a few spots down and was equipped with a full track setup.

7. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    One of my cars lives in NYC all the time, and I haven't had much trouble. As Hubert888 said, just use common sense when driving and parking. The newer cars, like a 360, don't have a hard time in traffic, so why not use it in the city... just be careful of the road and the taxis.

A good rule of thumb for me is that I do not generally use my car for much other than night driving or driving in and out of the city.

David

P.S. Get the 360, and you'll love it!

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Enzo

I do not live in River Place. I just park there. I live in the Piano Factory, so it's only a 7 minute walk to the car. Our Cayenne Turbo is parked in a parking garage in our street, but they did not want to give me a park-and-lock place for the Daytona.

Rijk