84 308 black plastic escutcheon around trunk latch | FerrariChat

84 308 black plastic escutcheon around trunk latch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Quasimotor, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I have a convo going with a guy about the black plastic escutcheon which surrounds the chrome rear engine deck release. This only comes as a unit with the chrome part - makes it expensive to replace. But my associate thinks it's possible to use the plastic escutcheon from the FRONT hood release, which DOES sell separately - about $20 from Ferrari UK. Anyone have any experience doing this? Are they identical?

Quasi M.

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I'm the other guy - it's on a diagram in the parts diagrams books (also on www.owners.ferrari.com).

I'm tempted to buy one just to see...

-Wayne

3. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I don't know if comapring them in the parts book, Wayne, will work. It's late here tonight, but tomorrow, I'm going to measure it up on my car and see what's what. Maybe you're right. If they're close wouldn't Ferrari have used one part for both to make it simple?

Quas.

PS thanks for being a good chatter on this issue BTW.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The front one is flat and has a chrome bezzel (which seperates) and the rear gate one has a curve to it to fit the door jamb. You own a FERRARI, dont be a cheap bastard, just buy the right part and move on with life.

5. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    You hurt my feelings when you say that. It implies that I can't afford to own a Ferrari. It further implies that those who can "own a Ferrari" may hold themselve above others who cant. I don't want to participate in that kind of high school dick measuring contest. Beyond that, I achieved my wealth, whether it's greater or lesser than yours, by hard work and skimping every penny. Now that I don't have to, I still enjoy both the work and the skimping. So I could just as well turn the high school cafeteria tables on you and ask why you get a kick out of wasting your money, but I won't. Instead, I'll say thank you for the information you imparted and leave it at that.

Quasimotor (sorry, not even a full motor)

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I own a 308 and its all too common for 308 owners to fit whatever part will work rather than the correct part. Its a cost thing and Ive seen it countless times on this site since I first registered, it gets tiring and I speak my mind. Most 308 owners are tight wads that can afford the car but cant afford to maintain it. I can afford a TR but if it blew the diff and I needed a clutch at the same time, the $10K cost in parts alone would put a major dent in me, thats why I have a 308 and not a TR. If you cant afford the gate release or you choose to pinch pennys (which doesnt work with ferraris) then you cant afford the car or you shouldnt have it in the first place. By a camaro.

7. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Newman may be blunt but in part he is right. if the part is not exatly what it should be some nut will be sure to point it out to you when you go to sell it. however on the other hand saving a buck is also nice so i have made friends with Ted at T Rutlands for just this sort of thing. he is a friendly fellow who is not opposed to forriging through his collection of parts to get you what you need in good condition and at a good price.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    [Call GT Car Parts and get a good used one. 623-780-2200

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Unobtainium Supply can make you an exact duplicate, using an original 308 part as a master to make the mold.

If you're interested, send email to [email protected].

If you want to check us out, search the old ferrarichat archives for 'unobtainium'. There's several threads.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Newman may be a bit mis-directed in his anger at Quasimotor, but I completely understand his frustration. If I see one more messed up 308 turned into a "FrankenFerrari" (forget who coined the term, but I like it), I'll explode. I am NOT for concours correct everything, and understand "upgrades" to improve drivability and reliability, but e-gads! Some of the "fugly" 16" wheels chosen, or goofy "bandaid" repairs to keep the thing running...ugh! I think his point is that if you own a Ferrari, that ownership means you have a responsibility to uphold the quality and originality of the car.

I could stretch and go buy a 360 tomorrow, but same thing as Newman, if the F1 system went kaput, I would have to tap into my J&J stock to pay for the friggen' repairs!

The point is that Quasimotor is not trying to substitute some in-correct part, he's simply inquiring if the front latch surround is identical to the rear latch surround. Sounds like they aren't so he will have to try something else...

11. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Check e-bay, I think I saw one on there recently. It was complete with the cable.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wayne, let me know what you find. I noticed mine is cracked also.

How much is the complete assembly, from our buds in UK???

1977 308GTB.

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>that ownership means you have a responsibility to uphold the quality and originality of the car.

What a bunch of crap! I do not have the responsibility to uphold the quality and originality of the car in any way, shape, or means, whatsoever, anywhere, anytime, period. I understand Newman very well. Epitome of the phrase "pretentious canadian".

I can't for the life of me see how anyones value judgements on the way
    Quasimotor intends to maintain his own car are appropriate.

I always received the remark; "doesn't work and play well with others" :)

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How was it Frank Parker put it.......

It's like keeping your wife a virgin........ for the NEXT guy! LOL

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Gabriel, if you think it has to do with being a canadian then thats fine. Just glad Im not a yankie right now, not too much to be proud of really.

16. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

You do know how to prove my point! -Pretentious canadian that you are....

17. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Seemed like a reasonable question to me - if the fronts and backs are interchangeable/the same part, why not interchange?

But anyways, and not directed at either side here, I can say as someone who has looked at many, many 308s for purchase over the past 2 years, there are a LOT of examples these days owned by people who REALLY can't afford them, or are too cheap to give them even reasonable care.

Which really surprised and disappointed me. Yeah, most of them had shiny red paint on the outside, but mechanically have been really abused by cheap owners!

15 years on the timing belt? Why not! Smog pump seized up? Ahh, just take the belt off! Interior bits broken and fallen off? Way too expensive to replace, just leave them off! Calipers sticking? Who can see the calipers anyways!

The number of beaten up 308s really surprised me. I love 'em, and will buy another one, but they really have, to a lot of people (not all, but a lot), unfortuately become the "poor man's Ferrari."

(Again, this is absolutely not directed to anyone here! Just to all those owners of the beater 308s I've looked at over the years).

18. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Just to set the record straight, I had no intention of cobbling ill-fitting, non-concourse parts on my 308. My inquiry was if the front plastic was the SAME as the back (the only difference being the fact that you can buy the front one separately, without buying the chrome pony, which is a waste if you already have a chrome pony). I AM a concourse nut. I want my car to be exact. But I just needed some simple information, not a tirade or an misdirected insult. And Newman, give me your lunch money before I tell Ms. Brooks you were peaking at her through the girls locker room keyhole.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes, gaybriel, you are right, I conceed and I understand quasiwhatever that stepping up from a sunbeam (dont they make lawnmowers?) means you will keep your ferrari concours correct at any cost. Im sorry.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #20 BigTex, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    quote: "What a bunch of crap! I do not have the responsibility to uphold the quality and originality of the car in any way, shape, or means, whatsoever, anywhere, anytime, period."

Cool Gabriel, get a set of "wiper wings", "flame" decals and some of those blue headlight bulbs and go to town!... :)

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #22 BigTex, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Man, this thread has cracked me up...everyone at each other's throats over a simple question. :)

Qwasimotor, have we got anywhere yet? :)

Gearhead, you are absolutely right, the 308 IS the "poor man's Ferrari" and that doesn't mean only poor people own them...just that those who can scrape up the funds, CAN get one...they just can't afford to keep it up...such a shame to. I spent a literal fortune keeping mine up....but it was all good fun, and a great ride. I still miss that car.

I guess Gabriel has a point too, once it is yours, you can do what you please, and drive it like you stole it, burn up the clutch, tear up the seats, and burn rubber at each stop light, then dump it on the next owner....It's your money.

24. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

LOL! That's not quite what I meant to address - Anyone ricing out a Ferrari should be shot on sight! The operative word here is "responsibility." I have responsibility to my family, my wife and kids, my country, to try to do the things that I believe are right and lawful, and not generally go out of my way to be a jerk to others.

I can do that without going out of my way. :)

After that anyone that tells me what I *have* to do can just basically
    kiss my @ss. I have no obligation to the Temple of Enzo.

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Garbriel,
    That's the thing with the Internet, we don't receive all the facial expressions and true meanings of our posts, and THAT can cause misunderstandings. Newman and I got heated in a discussion of 308 wheels once, but we met and talked on the phone and found there was no real meaness to anything, just a simple disagreement, but you'd think different seeing our posts! :) He's a great guy and a real enthusiast, just like me....but unlike me, he's also a real technician and mechanic!