2006 Monza/Modena Competitors: Master List | FerrariChat

2006 Monza/Modena Competitors: Master List

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mako99, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    So let's start a list of Sports and GT 2-door coupes that could be available to compete for dollars against the Monza, or whatever the Modena's replacement winds up being called.

I made the parameters loose, basically in order to make the list the potential competitor has to have a power to weight ratio that's close to the base Monza's estimated figures: (475HP/3,250lbs.) I also didn't look at price except for one caveat: The competitor's price cannot exceed the Monza's estimated $185k - $200k MSRP.

Estimated HP figures are in parentheses, followed by both announced and unannoucned-but-expected models:

*asterisks denote models that may have more HP than estimated by the time they arrive*

(500HP) Porsche 997/998 TT
    (500HP) Lamborghini Gallardo/Gallardo SV, GT, or GT-R*
    (500HP) Ford GT
    (500HP) MB SL65 AMG*
    (500HP) Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe/GTS Model (hardtop refresh)*
    (500HP) Chevrolet C6 Z06
    (400HP) Lotus Esprit, Next generation*
    (400HP) Aston Martin AMV8 and DB9*
    (400HP) Nissan Skyline GT-R, Next generation
    (400HP) Toyota Supra, Next generation
    (400HP) BMW M4 Coupe*
    (350HP) Honda NSX, Next generation*

What other ones am I missing? Aren't there a few buff Jags coming out?

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i must say the introduction of the gallardo into the market has certainly made ferrari rethink its strategy.. i would say the release of the gallardo is the best thing that could have happened to ferrari buyers.. i hope this war gets hotter so that we as buyers benefit

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I'm curious to see how the Japanese react. Nissan's Charles Ghosn must have had an annurism as high HP versions of the Vette and other cars below $100k were introduced over the past six months. He pushed the next Skyline GT-R coupe intro back TWO YEARS after the dust settled in December.

Honda seems oblivious to the rest of the world's sportscar needs as always, insisting that the next NSX will have "over 300HP". Gee thanks. I hope it weighs no more than 500 pounds then lol, otherwise it will be a dog.

Two years ago Toyota all but gleefully talked about how their F1 team's future successes would parlay itself into a new supercar or even a new Supra, but after two years of mediocre results they're non-commital about sports cars currently.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Bentley Conntinental GT - definitely a GT, but pretty darn peppy nonetheless. It's in that price range too...

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    One thing is for sure. There are too many cars in this segment, and too few buyers. I think that is already being seen with the Gallardo. I would never have expected those cars to go for MSRP so soon after introduction. Something will give in this market, and not all the players will remain. From a buying standpoint, the next 3-4 years will be a great time to take advantage of this market segment.

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I agree for the most part, part of the problem is the pricing in this segment. $185k is a ton of cash considering that just $125k buys you a pretty lethal 911TT. You've got to be pretty motivated to ratchet it up to near $200k for a car that's not dramatically superior.

We'll see though. Back in the recession of the early Nineties no one thought their was room for over a dozen luxury car brands, and somehow they've all survived and even flourished.

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They are still starting to over crowd this segment very much. In terms of cars, the market for such a car is just not large enough to support 3000 ferraris and 2000 lambos let alone all the rest!

8. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Plus you've got other used cars that will show up on the "under $175k" radar by the time the Monza rolls out like the Murcielago and 575M.

9. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    Did anyone read the september issue of Car. They ran a story about Mclaren potentially producing three new cars. One car would target the 360 Modena (or its replacement). They called it the F3. "The 'entry-level' Mclaren will run a naturally aspirated V10 in its least stressed state of tune, yet still produce 425bhp. Following the 360M template, the engine is mounted behind the driver, and a spyder version is on the cards too"
    Just wondering if anyone has more information.

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    detlu, great article, actually quite interesting, but sadly, as the factory (mclaren) has stated, they will never do another car quite like the F1 (even if they call it that). I believe the article said there would be a F1,F2, F3. Pretty cool idea.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    With a mercedes/AMG/MB-based engine?

12. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    That would be interesting, although with no dealer network established you'd have to hope that you'd be buying/servicing the cars through the existing MB network.

My other question would be in regard to production volume. We all know that MB upgraded McLaren's facilities massively during the SLR project, but are they capable of simutaneously manufacturing three different car lines with say a total output of 2,000 cars per year?

In any case it would be great to have them back in the game, the F1 is like the patron saint of sports car fans.

13. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    In the article they say that the mclaren cars would be built pretty much only to compete with ferrari. As Bostonmini said Mclaren says they will never build a car quite like the F1. The article stated that it was Mercedes pushing Mclaren to take up the challenge.

I apologize for my limited knowledge about this but everything I know came from that one article. I read the article and got excited and never heard about it again. Just food for thought.

by the way Mercedes is still trying to take a bigger share of Mclaren.

14. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    C6 Blue Devil, 100K, 625hp+?
    Viper Coupe, 550hp+, I doubt they would keep it at 500 with upcoming Z06.
    Skyline GT-R, 480hp, so say initial rumours.
    Mustang Cobra 450hp+?
    Porsche 928, 450-500hp?

These power levels are insane. Something has got to give.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There's going to be a 928 again? Wow. Does anyone know what it'll look like or when it might come out? I am toying with the idea of picking up a 993 as a daily driver in the next 10 months or so. A new version of the 928 might be tempting, as is the 997 car in September.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i thought Lotus wasn't going to make any more Esprits...(?)