Anyone ever move across the country? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever move across the country?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KevinW, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My wife and I may be moving from Pennsylvania to Phoenix (will know definitely tomorrow -- awaiting reponse from possible employer) and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this?

Luckily, we don't own a house so we have minimal stuff to move (no washing machine/dryer, refrigerator, etc). Our biggest items are a living room set (couch, love seat, chair and ottoman) and a bedroom set.

I've been debating doing the move myself by renting a truck and a tow trailer to put my Mercedes on. I've also looked into carriers to do the move as well.

I know you get what you pay for. Anyone who has experience with this have any suggestions? I've heard tons of horror stories with carriers and it sounds like you get what you pay for...but I am trying to make the move as cheap as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions on carriers to make this move? Anyone ever move themselves this far? What was it like?

This is a little scary since it's such a far move (2400 miles) so any help/encouragement would be appreciated!

Kevin

2. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    I've done it on a couple of occasions - NYC to Florida, then Florida to Vermont, then Vermont to Michigan (all within 1.5 years). Each time my wife and I did it ourselves, but we were much younger then. We just used UHaul, sometimes a trailer, sometimes a straight truck. It always worked out fine and we saved a ton of money over using movers, etc. I'd say go for it - it's not that hard and once you're settled in Phoenix you'll forget all about the little hassles. FWIW.

Good luck!

Brent

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wow. u live in allentown? Where abouts? i live in Upper Saucon (near center valley G.C)

I moved from the UK to here. It was hard, but now that i look back on it, it was worth it. The only bad thing is that all the relatives are in the UK, but we go to the UK once or twice a year so its ok. Look at the good points and bad, after all, it may affect you for the rest of your life.

I'd jump at the change to go to Phoenix from here tho ;)

4. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I live in the Whitehall area. I usually always tell people I live in Allentown just because it's easier. You aren't far from me at all...

Yeah, we're looking forward to (hopefully) moving...the weather is one of the main reason...plus the opportunity as well.

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    cool. Yeah, i got tired of saying "Upper Saucon, its just outside of Bethlehem" and "Just outside of London" so i just say Bethlehem and London now.

Yes, the weather can get pretty tedious. Arizona is a cool place. Let us know what happens.

6. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I have moved cross country. It was some time ago. I moved North-South, not East-West. If you have moved before, then you can expect the same.

You have a lot to consider.

1 Is your company footing the bill?
    2 Can you pack all your gear into a rental?
    3 Do you know people that can help you pack and unpack?
    4 Can you drive the rental?
    5 Are you an early adapter?

Keep in mind what you are paying movers for. You pay them for their gas, time, housing, and manual labor. They pack your gear, move it cross country, and then unpack it.

1. If your company is paying moving expenses, hire a mover. Hire the best mover for the money. Get referrals from your company. Who do they recommend?

If not, then your only option may be moving yourself unless you have some money saved up. Get estimates from movers. There may be some sites on the web that can help. Realtor.com is a good starting place.

2. Rental trucks vary in size. Make sure that you get one large enough to hold all your gear and small enough that you are not paying more than you need. Also keep in mind that this is not a multiple trip move. You have to move everything at once.

3. There are companies that will just help you pack or unpack your gear. They cost money but, their cost may be less than the fees for keeping the truck longer.

4. Rental trucks are hard to drive for multiply reasons. They are uncomfortable and difficult to drive especially with a trailer.

5. If you have the latest in technology, it is usually expense to replace and weighs next to nothing. Movers traditional insure by weight. Make sure that if you do go commercial to check the policy and amend as necessary.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The only problem with a pro mover is you don't have enough stuff to merit a full truck. I moved with one of 'em one time and slept on the floor for three weeks while they off loaded about three houses worth of crap to get to my bed and sofa! HTH

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yeah, and you do pay extra to have them unpack everything.

9. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Unfortunately I will be footing most of the bill, if not all of it. This is why I am trying to save as much as I can

I've been comparing prices on the "do it yourself" one way movers. I'm not impressed at all with U-Haul's equipment. I drive past one everyday and see what their equipment looks like (and I have also rented their stuff in the past). I'd be afraid to do a 50 mile move let alone a 2400 mile move with their stuff. Of course, they are the cheapest. But I figure my safety and time is more important than overall price.

Penske is impressive and it looks like they have a newer looking fleet. They are, of course, much more expensive but it may be worth it.

Budget has their own fleet which looks new but they are way out of line with their prices.

And Ryder doesn't offer one way moves.

I guess no matter what it's going to cost a chunk of change and a good 5 days to move out there.

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if you had told me about a month ago i would have tons of boxes for you (moved within Bethlehem from Fogelsville to where i am now).

how does that work?

11. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    My limited experience with several company paid moves and several moves I made with U-Haul...

Packing - expensive but if they move it they need to pack it for insurance coverage.

Unpacking -- very expensive & more trouble than it's worth(You're going to have to be ready to tell them immediately where everything goes)

Moving -- get estimates and watch for high season moves which are more expensive. Make sure they don't lowball the estimate by guessing a much lower weight- you actual cost will be based on your actual weight. Rates are usually regulated by the ICC.

Half loads are a problem -- try to negotiate a fixed delivery date.

U-Haul -- Most versatile... You want to try to swap a off-brand broken truck in the middle of nowhere? Every town has a U-Haul! Ask for the good equipment & you should have several dealer choices. If all the 22 footers are new, go up a size to get a newer one, you'll need the space!

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Halifax to Toronto Then 10 years later and a lot of crap more Toronto to Dallas.

First suggestion SHED THE JUNK ... If you have not touched or used something in over 6 months you don't need it.

Minimize everyting you can then call a mover (established not bob and doody's happy movers) Insure the hell out of it and let someone else deal with schlepping. Do the unload but leave the unpack to your own.

just my .02

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    With a heavy heart, i read this thread in envy; i'm dying to get out of here and move to California... Like Jim said, go through all your stuff, weed out the stuff you don't need... When i was a teenager, i bounced around a lot; when it was time to pick up and leave, i realized i didn't need everything i had... Try to avoid a moving company if you can, it's just another expense... A Uhaul truck would be a lot cheaper... Good luck and let us know how everything turns out...

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    carbon, where do you live?

15. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I moved back to Cali from Buck's County PA back in '93. And I put everything I owned into my Acura Integra and my mountain bike on the roof. I'll never forget those 4 days. Especially a lengthy stretch of road that was under construction. 11MPH for almost an hour and a half is mind-numbing. The road had HUGE boulders and DEEP potholes. I kept looking for the shadow of my mountain bike to make sure it was still with me. I got to my parent's house in Phoenix on the 4th day and had to fly out to Tokyo on the next day.

I'll never forget speeding thru Montana and Wyoming. The Arch of St. Louis. And Yellowstone Nat'l Park with Old Faithful. And Bryce in Utah. And the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

It's been too long for a MAJOR road trip. Maybe up to Alaska.

Thanks for bringing back the memories. :)

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Long Island, NY... Minus a year and a half in CT, i've lived in one part of NY or another my whole life... Always wanted to live in Cali, even before i ever went out there... i visited San Diego in 2001; it was my first-ever trip to California (second-ever trip on a plane, period!) and i loved it just like i knew i would... i even loved Fresno and northern California (my second time out there) and, of course, L.A (my third time out there)....

17. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    NNO -- Speaking of Cali, I just recently returned from Los Angeles with my company on a temporary assignment for 7 months. And let me tell you, I didn't want to come back! California is awesome and it's actually the state I want to eventually live in -- it's just too damn expensive! Los Angeles is amazing and has something for everyone. Let's put it this way -- if you're into cars, like all of us here are, it's the place to be. I mean, check out all the action in the Southern California message board here on ferrarichat! It's nuts! (I wish I knew about this website while I was out there, I probably would have made a lot of new friends...ohh well).

k5mcl -- That would have been great to get all those boxes from you...would have been a nice way for you to make some "extra" money!

CraigFL -- Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll check out U-Haul anyway and see if they might have some newer equipment. I just have this fear of the damn thing breaking down in the middle of nowhere (like New Mexico or something!)

need4speed -- That's one of the things I am looking forward to is actually seeing the country. I've flow out west so many times and have seen everything from 35,000 feet...now I'd like to see it from the ground (although there will be no sightseeing...)

Thanks for all the replies. So far, the majority of you have made a move like this have had a positive experience. Makes me feel a little more confident.

I'm just hoping I get good news tomorrow from the company I am working with out there!

Kevin

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You don't have to tell me... i was out there for one of their events and had the time of my life... Drove my first Ferrari while i was out there; i also drove my second Ferrari a little while after that...! It was a weekend i'll never forget... i can't wait to be back out there; for good, i hope.

19. wesleyd

wesleyd Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    When I moved from NC to Costa Mesa, CA about 10 years ago I did it with a U-Haul and car trailer (drive-on kind instead of the one that has just the front wheels on a trailer.) I would not hesitate to use U-haul again. From what I have seen they use different equipment for the one-way moves and local moves. (some of the trucks used for local moves in CA were quite old). The only hesitation I would have again is hauling the car on a trailer. When you're not used to maneuvering a trailer, it can be problematic. You have to be careful with what parking lots you pull into to be sure you can get out easy enough.

I used a professional mover to move to Texas, and this was with my stuff packed by me. One thing to consider when using a long-haul mover is to check if the place you are moving to can handle the length of the truck (larger size trucks are used for the longer moves, especially for the cab). If not, then they will have to off-load onto a smaller truck and this is an extra expense. This happened to me, but the move was being covered by my company.

20. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the reponse. This makes me feel much better. I'll definitely be checking out U-Haul after what you just told me. Like I said before, I've seen (and have used) some of their equipment and I definitely wouldn't want to drive it cross country.

As far as hauling the car on a trailer like you used, I don't have a choice but to use one. My car is leased (hello...miles!) and my wife will have to drive her car behind me (should be interesting). That was actually one of my concerns was maneuvering with a car being towed behind me. I was thinking of going to my AAA office and having them put together one of their trip guides and marking down appropriate rest areas. I would also have to call ahead the hotels I want to use and make sure they can handle my large trailer.

Again, thanks again for the reply!

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Check out Ryder, too. Be sure to ask if the trucks have speed governors.

One year, I moved from Cali to DC and back in the fall. Used the biggest truck, towed the car. I also recall my then-spouse saying "You're on my turf now, Motherfncker." What a great Valentine's Day that was. Of course, I wasn't alone, as her 6 (six) sisters were saying the exact same thing to their hubbies that day. Something tells me they planned it alllllll along. For the return trip, exactly 1 year to the day I arrived in DC, I had much, much, much, much, much less stuff on a much, much, much, much smaller truck.

Drive safe!

22. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I did look into Ryder (since it looks like they have nice looking trucks) and it says that they do not do one-way moves??? But you're saying you used them to move from California to DC? I wonder if they changed since then???

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Did it one-way in '88, I believe. Wonder what's up with that policy... Weasels!

24. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    My wife and I did a one-way in 96 from Montgomery, AL to Seattle, WA with a Ryder truck and car dolly. We went the southern route along I-10. The truck broke down (brake failure) about 20 miles outside of Big Springs, TX. Fortunately, we didn't have to unload the truck. After many, many hours of waiting for them to dispatch someone, they picked us and the truck up, brought us into Big Springs, put us up for the night, fixed the truck, and we were back on the road the next morning.

Two years later, I got a company paid move (movers pack, move, and unpack) from Seattle to Portland, OR. We had quite a few broken items in that move. Zero breakage on our Ryder truck move we did ourselves.

25. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    LAFUN2:

Yeah it sucks to be a licensed attorney and then move. I have done it once and I am going to do it again. I was licensed in Washington State and moved to Colorado-- took the bar and got licensed again, now we are moving to either CA or FL and I will have to take ANOTHER bar exam... not fun! But no, if you like pain, you are not stuck in any state.