What's the best digital camera without spending a $ fortune? | FerrariChat

What's the best digital camera without spending a $ fortune?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Husker, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I am needing to take some more pics of my car for a fellow. Which digital camera would you guys recommend that can be bought inexpensively? Thanks!

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Canon S400 -- about $400

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm sure there are $50 options out there.

you need to clarify "fortune" and "inexpensive".

http://www.dpreview.com/ is a stupendous research tool.

doody.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Will agree with Doody... http://www.dpreview.com/ is a stupendous research tool.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

I just purchased a Kodak 5.0 megapixel DX4530 for 299.00 from Best Buy. Takes pretty decent pics but I still miss my Minolta 35mm :(

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wouldn't recommend that Kodak. I have yet to read one good review on it. Everything I've read says the colors are off and somethings come out blurry. Plus the price speaks for itself. No good quality 5.0 megapixel camera should be cheaper than $450 imo. And I have to agree with the other two about dpreview. Excellent reviews and if they havent reviewed, the user opinions tend to be very good. I have a Kodak DX6340 thats 3.1mp and is pretty good quality.

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You can get a DECENT 3.2MP camera (Fuji, Panasonic, Sony) in the
    $200+ range. It is more than enough for internet purposes and will produce very nice 4x6 to 8x11 prints (depending on your printer and photopaper). It gets better than this the higher the megapixel (MP).

Bought my Panasonic LC-33 with Leica lens for a little over $200. I am extremely happy with it; I use it mainly for internet purposes and printing 4x6's. It is quite addicting.

Ron

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Another vote for the S400.

9. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    I always tell people to Stick with the big 2(canon nikon). They cost a little more but you get a very well thought out camera. The optica also tend to be better. What ever you do do all your reasearch online. If you go to a camera store you should have it narrowed down to 2 choices.

If you need person to person guidence try to find a professionial level camera store near you. They usually know their **** and have digital departments. Just stay away from box stores when it comes to decion making, but they are great place for deals, if you don't need knowledgible sales service.

I would recomend the S400, but if you don't want to part with $400 and are taking shot mainly for screen viewing check out he Canon 2mp A60($199 or cheaper) or the 3mp A70($250ish) if you are planning on printing ever once in a while. Basiclly it comes down to what are you using the camera for. if you are going to be printing 8x10 or larger get at least 4mp camera. If it's web use only get a 2mp camera, and so on.

I always give people 3 things to look for in a digi, Compact flash media (it's the closest thing to an industry standard out there and will be around for a long time), ablity to use AA batteries(no bruce did pay me to say that ;) ) but if you ever are using the camera and you propritay battery dies you can't just run the the nearest 7-11 and get more batteries, and a real view finder thay way you can use it like a real camera when needed (bright direct sunlight which makes LCDs a Biatch to see)

One last thing. Don't be fooled by marketing giniks like using Ziess or Leica lenses. Yes these are big names with very nice products, but they have low quality bottom of the line stuff too. If you repaint and rebadge a Kia with all the Ferrari stuff you can find it's still a Kia.

Just my $.02

10. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    For an entry level camera I like the Sony Cybershot. At around $200 I think they work really well for the $. You can even find them at your local Wal-Mart.

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Canon Sureshot S400 -- ultra compact, 4 Megapixel.

12. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
  13. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    If you google canon e18 error most of the hits come back with model numbers of older camera which have been discontinued. I'm not saying it doesn't still happen, but I know many people with Canon cameras and this is the first I've heard of this.

14. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Canon PowerShot A60 or A70.

I have an A60.

I agree with Brianjonesphoto's 3 criteria for a Digital Camera. I tell my friends the same 3.

15. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I LOVE my s400 it is a pack of cigs in size. great battery life too.

thad brown

16. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Nikon Coolpix 3100.

Great software, good colors. I had a Canon, the Nikon is better

17. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We have a Canon G2 and it's great. This is the first I've heard of those errors.

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I bought a Minolta G400. Real small (about the size of the Canon S400), very very fast (quick startup time, almost no shutter lag), plus it has scene modes+ full manual mode (i.e., you can manually set shutter speed, aperature, ISO, etc.) +aperature priority modes. Or, just leave it in auto mode, which is what I do most of the time.

4 megapixl, 3x optical zoom lens.

Cost about $300.

Only downside: low light focus (i.e. dimly lit room at night) could be improved, but I've noticed this is a problem with most small cameras.

Dom

20. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    I have a Canon A70
    Takes great pictures and is easy to use

21. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    When I bought a digi camera I did lotsa research. Olympus is supposed to have the best lens'. The lens is supposedly the most important part of the camera. My Olympus 550 is only a 3.2 mega pixel, and takes AWESOME quality photos. You can zoom into a photo about 3 times before it starts breaking down into little squares of color...if ya know what I mean. Also, when I email them, they are huge photos, actually too large! A 5.0 mega pix will have your friends wanting to strangle you if you send them a photo. Just my 2 cents. A great site for price comparisons and owners opinions.

22. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    When I bought a digi camera I did lotsa research. Olympus is supposed to have the best lens'. The lens is supposedly the most important part of the camera. My Olympus 550 is only a 3.2 mega pixel, and takes AWESOME quality photos. You can zoom into a photo about 3 times before it starts breaking down into little squares of color...if ya know what I mean. Also, when I email them, they are huge photos, actually too large! A 5.0 mega pix will have your friends wanting to strangle you if you send them a photo. Just my 2 cents. A great site for price comparisons and owners opinions. (Pretty sure my camera is under $300 now).

23. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I bought the Olympus for about $200 or somewhere thereabout. I do have to downsize the photos to email them but it works great. The Camedia software that comes with the camera works pretty well although it is not Photoshop. If you do not want to spend much, I certainly recommend the Olympus.

24. yellowpad

yellowpad Karting

Feb 17, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    i just got a canon A300... dpreview mention alot of good things about it.