FoS "Best of Italy" Gathering tonight | FerrariChat

FoS "Best of Italy" Gathering tonight

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TimF40, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    FoS is having a "Best of Italy" gathering tonight (Tues). Looks like they have wine, cheese, and a couple of guest speakers, including Tino.

Anyone besides me planning on attending? (I assume the invites went out to their customer base)

2. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Really, sounds like fun, I would love to go....but I don't think I got an invitation from FoS. Maybe old customers of Grand Prix Motors are not as important anymore ? :)

3. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    What is the time frame for the event? If you didn't get an invitation, but show up with your F-car, would you be welcome? PeterB.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Hmmm...interesting. Didn't get an invitation, unfortunately. :(

Please let us know what went on, Tim. Thanks.

5. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I received an invite, but am unable to attend.

I suspect the invites were sent to customers who've purchased vehicles from them, and that this is not a slight against potential customers, rather a bonus for loyal existing customers.

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Eric,

I bought my car from FoS. Perhaps the invitation goes to people who recently ordered cars and new owners?

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    If that is the case, than I will have to say that is a very stupid and half-ass thing from FoS. I got my car there when it was still called Grand Prix Motors so 13 years ago and the car has been serviced there since then so I know I am on their computer file. I think it is a huge mistake to brush off previous customers if that is truly the case. Let's face it, Ferrari is not a that big of a company that they can't track all their customers or cars. I have no intention of making FoS look bad, but from my own experience, GPM can take FoS to school anyday.

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    i'm just waiting for shelbee and others to chime in... this could be interesting.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Unfortunately this is the "double edged sword" of such marketing efforts. It is understandable that FoS wishes to cultivate and strengthen their relationship with recent Ferrari owners, as these are most likely to be the ones to make another purchase in the near future (presumably). At the same time, I'm sure they would like to have owners of older cars, that may be in the market for another Ferrari; but how do you reach them, without inviting EVERY Ferrari owner in the Puget Sound region?

No matter how it is done, if you don't openly invite everyone, then some feelings will be hurt. Yet their marketing budget is not limitless either, so I understand a line must be drawn somewhere.

10. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Oops, didn't mean to stir up something. I don't know how their list was generated. I got the invite via email. So, it would follow that you had to be current in their email db and mentioned at some point that you would be interested in such events. Similar to what Barrier Porsche does. i.e., If you know these events happen and let them know at some point that you'd be interested, you'd get put on their email list.

They mentioned that they have these types of events from time to time and that if someone was interested to let them know. They seem to have high integrity and are obviously interested in keeping good relations with customers. It was probably a matter of email convenience of one sort or another. My opinion at least.

Anyway, they had some financial guys talking for awhile, for those who had money left over after buying their f-car that is. ;-} Tino gave a quick update on F&M in general. I met/saw Albert there. He's getting anxious waiting for his new CS. :)

I also picked up my 360 with a new Capristo exhaust installed! Yes! Ah, but you'll have to wait for another post on that...

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I was told it was an event put on by SmithBarney for their clients. FoS was only providing the backdrop. Some F-car owners were invited via email.

12. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Tim,
    I would like to hear that exhaust! Do we have someone who has a good video camera and sound recording experience?

I am sick and tired of having no good recording of the CS at it best.

How about having a shootout CS, Tubi, Capristo using a drive-by recording at full blast? A recording in a tunnel would be also fun ...

- thomas

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    March 6th is Ferrari club Dyno Day. Probably the best way to get some good sound samples and see how much power your 360's really producing.

14. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I have tons of dyno recordings including the ones done by the Xbox folks - they are boring since you don't have the dive by effect (some physical effect that changes frequency I believe but can't remember) - what you want is a recording with the mic at the side of a road and the cars driving by

15. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Drive by recordings could be done on Dyno Day. Nearby roads tend to be pretty empty around the shop during weekend mornings. People use them for warmup before going on the dyno. Not sure who would have the good recording equipment though. Lunch and drive afterward.

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I've got a pretty decent digital video camera that I will be bringing to the Dyno Day event.

I've used it at the previous events and the recorded sound quality is very good.

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Here's a sound recording that was dubbed off of the digital camera from a few years ago.

It's been converted to a .wav audio file and compressed in mono to make the file much smaller for easy downloading. The larger full stereo version is really awesome sounding, but it's a huge file!

http://home.comcast.net/~garyreed3/308qv.wav

This is my previous 308QV being redlined in all five gears on the dyno. Test pipes and Tubi...... Loud!

18. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    How about setting it up in the I-90 tunnel on an early morning? Bet it would sound a lot different AND better being outside of the car.

19. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    If we can get Dave to do the recording on his HD Quality DV Cam - that should do the trick.

Dave are you listening?

20. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Exactly what I was thinking. Dave T. would probably most definitely be interested as he enjoys driving the 355 with the DV cam on the passenger side floor. Sounds pretty decent in the car, now imagine how it'd sound from the outside with Tubi, CS, and Capristo wailing by. Wicked!

21. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I could not make it due to fatherly duties at school, sounded like a fun event. Suspect the list was generated by previous request...if you want to be on it in the future, call/email Roberto and ask to get on the list instead of 6itching about it. I did not purchase my car but I have also asked to be included in stuff like this. Was it my parts purchase or simply asking? I suspect that latter as my parts probably don't add up to much in the end.

- JMG

22. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Roberto PM me from FChat yesterday after he saw the posts here. Prior plans didn't allow me to attend.

23. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Absolutely agree with JMG

24. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Misplaced email address was the problem. Don't get bent out of shape over this, folks.

25. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thomas: I like how you think! I've got the dyno day on my calendar. I still want/need an I-90 tunnel ride in your CS as well. Maybe we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone on an upcoming day with some sun breaks real soon now. :) Tim