Who Owns a Subway Franchise? | FerrariChat

Who Owns a Subway Franchise?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by redjeeper, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    My wife and I are thinking about opening a few Subway franchises on college campuses and in some of the major hospitals in our area. We are also considering putting some in the food courts in our major malls. Does anyone here own a franchise or know someone that does?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
  3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    DAVE MONK OWNS ABOUT 10 IN CONNECTICUT

HES USUALLY ON OFTEN

GOOD LUCK,

BRUCE

4. carmaster

carmaster Karting

Jan 13, 2004
    Boston/ Portland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's a guy in Maine that owns a subway franchise that has a 360 Spyder,a nd this awesome X5 with the sport package:)

5. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Carbon, that thread turned into a New York bashing thread. There was very little info on it, sorry.

6. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    How hard is it to open a Subway franchise? Do they want previous experience, like Krispy Kreme? Theres a student center being built at some point in the near future at the college near me. Should I pursue it further?

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Have you guys checked out their website? Usually companies have a "Become a Franchise Owner" section posted on their sites where you can find all the requirements.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
  9. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks. I had already looked there, I need to clarify my question further. How difficult is it to own a Subway franchise, as in should a first time franchiser attempt one, or do something else first.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Not difficult at all. Most of the very large franchises have worked out many of the mistakes and the system they provide is pretty fool proof. The key elements are your contribution of time and effort and location, location, location.

11. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Student center sound like a good enough location?

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Redjeeper. I have 9 Subways, 5 of which are in malls.
    All of the possible locations you mentioned are sound on the surface.
    Where are you located? Many of the bigger schools have contract feeders such as Marriot. They could have a lock on all food on campus.
    Feel free to PM me
    Dave

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Androza. Its pretty easy, dont get me wrong it can be a lot of work. Your simply buying a job. Question is can you get a job for free that pays more....One store is easy to run and fine for your first franchise.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, Jeeper, you asked if anyone here owned a Subway franchise or knew of someone who did; that thread had the answer to that question... i know it wasn't as mature as any of us would've liked, but the information was still there... In any case, Dave is here now, so...

Hey, good luck with your venture, let us know how it turns out...

15. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    DaveM is spot on in both his posts. You need to check to see if another vendor has contracts and you have to realize that with one store you are just buying a job. I've been a multiple unit restaurant owner. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it was bad.

Besides your mentioned location you might want to look to very small surrounding towns in your area. I've got a friend who operates about a dozen Subways, his key to success has been towns with populations under 20,000.

Good luck!

16. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    Thanks guys, as far as I know the food service is being handled by the school cafeteria program and they would probably invite a large franchise that wants to locate to the school. By the way, I m in Jackson, MS. Dave, I am going to PM you for more details. Thanks guys, keep the comments coming.

17. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
  18. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    You might want to check out abracat.fransol.com

They offer advice and newsletters concerning franchising. I am told it is a good resource.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'll second what Tyler said: I lived in a town of around 10k in Hawaii and the Subway there (aside from being a sandwich monopoly) was reputedly the most profitable in the entire state (according to my business faculty). The service was abismal, they never had enough bread (I can count 4-5 times in 2 years we went to eat there and there were no buns left), and they had two meatball shortages last year that left them meatball-less for 2-3 weeks at a time.

But to get back to my point, apparently small towns can rake it in.

20. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    I'll keep the small town recommendation handy. In Mississippi, small towns are everywhere. As a matter of fact, there are at least 20 within 70 miles of me.