Exhaust/Track Day Advice Please | FerrariChat

Exhaust/Track Day Advice Please

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 512Girl, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512Girl

512Girl Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Rachel *~*~*
    Hi

Thanks for those of you who have made me feel most welcome!

I am after some advice ........

a) Would a Tubi exhaust be too loud for my 512?
    b) Should the cats be left on?
    c) Would it be too loud for Track Days? I haven't yet done any track days but one is possibly on my 'to do list' for 2004.

Thanks

512Girl

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Rachel hope you enjoy f-chat,
    A tubi will be to loud for certain tracks,
    as for the cats and tubi the guys in the know will tell you,
    cheers
    Dale.

3. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi Rachel I have a tubi on my 512TR I have left the cats on as i have heard a mate of mines Testarosser and it is really LOUD With the cats on it sounds great but not intrusive into the car I drove mine approx 3000mls on tour to the factory and back and it was brilliant As for track days it has loads of power and grunt but takes a bit of stopping
    I do a lot of FOC trackdays and if you are member and want to have a ride round in mine let me know which ones you are going to My wife comes to most events and she would not mind giving up her seat for a few laps How long have you had the TR ?

RAY360m

4. 512Girl

512Girl Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Rachel *~*~*
    Thanks Dale for your reply.... will have word with the 'guys in the know' sometime!

Thanks RAY360M..... The louder the better is my motto with regards to tune coming from the exhaust of my 512TR.

I may well take you up on your offer of a ride round one with you on one of the Track Days (if your wife doesn't mind), it would be interesting to see 'how it's done' before I attempt one! I believe there is one at Castle Combe in April time, I might be able to get time off to go to that one (if I talk nicely to my boss!). Will be in touch.

Oh, I have had my 512TR for about 6 months now, not been out much (yet)!!

Thanks again everyone.

512Girl

5. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I took the cats off my 512TR and found that the sound was different but not much louder. I then had the stock silencer 'gutted' if you know what I mean, this made it a bit better, but I'm told it will never sound like a V8 engined car, its just a smoother sounding engine.

6. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Hi,

I have Tubi on 360 spider and track days are out as noise test is off scale.

However donnington and Brands have relaxed days. If you remove Cats it will be seriously loud!!!!

Id go for Tubi first and see how that is, If its to tame Cats off for the full on blast.

Do you have someone with access to the Tubi?

Joe

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    512Girl

Probably going to be a problem!, you can hire a noise meter from Bookatrack.com for around £10. To give an idea of noise limits I have posted below and for comparison my 355 with standard exhaust will just about get on at 98dB

In just about every case the noise is measured at .5 metre from exhaust and 3/4 of maximum revs, make sure the oils hot, dip the clutch and bring the revs up slowly, if there is no marked red line on your tacho you can always lie!! :)

Goodwood 98dB or 105dB depending on day (very strict)
    Castle Combe 100dB normally tested at 4,500rpm (reasonably strict)
    Donington around 98db driveby (only one mic so you can always lift off if a bit noisy)
    Brands, Silverstone, Oulton, Snetterton 105dB but never seen any testing done
    Mallory (a bit small for a 512!) 105dB but never seen testing
    Bedford 98dB (very, very strict)

8. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    512Girl - I want your car!!! It's just gorgeous - congratulations.

Welcome to F-Chat!

Cheers, MARK