Paging Napolis Old Guy and Wayne | FerrariChat

Paging Napolis Old Guy and Wayne

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by writerguy, Jan 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #1 writerguy, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spent the week out hanging out at Chaparral Cars.

The new Jim Hall Chaparral Gallery is coming along really well and will be opening in April. If you folks know of anyone who owns old Can Am era race cars who would like to attend the Grand opening please PM me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #2 writerguy, Jan 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Whoa... Looks pretty b_tchin'...

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The brilliance and uniqueness of his methodologies is always fascinating. It is nice to hear that there will be tribute to him in a permanent fashion.

Are most of the cars owned by this museum or on loan / display? Does anyone know where most of the more famous cars are (private hands, etc?). Any interesting stories relating to such (Wayne)?

--Dan

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I met Jim 10 years ago at the Goodwood Festival of speed. He was there with 3 of his cars, Phil Hill, and Troy (His original mechanic/builder).
    It was pissing rain but that didn't stop him. He was very interested in my MK-IV and pointed out the small splitter saying Ford learned that from him. He also remembered my Lola which he tested and fitted with a spoiler.
    He was a real Gentleman. At Goodwood they send you up the hill every 30 seconds. He was staging right in front of me in his sucker CanAm. Before he set off Troy ran back and said to me: "Hall saw you in parctice and he knows you're fast. He's going slow so look out for him."
    That Jim thought I could catch him was enough for me.
    I set off and did catch him but I stayed WAY back. The sight of that sucker CanAm blowing rain and bits of the track 30 feet into the air is not something I'll ever forget.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What do you eat for breakfast...? How is life that good...? i don't get it... You're like a walking, real-life movie...

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    All of the Chapparal's are still his, and there are a number of other personal cars that are just stunning, but that is a whole different thing.

The Chap's are all under his ownership with the exception of one that he does not consider a real chapparal....

THe cars are ALL Driveable and there is a conditon to the display that they have to be driven out of the gallery at least 3 times a year and maintained in working "Trackable" status

Also While in midland i stumbled across

Mclaren F1
    Enzo
    Lambo Mercy
    Ferrari 440 Monza (57)
    Ferrari 250 GTO
    M+B SL 300 Gullwing
    Jaguar Super Swallow 1937 i think
    MG TC
    A couple of ol Lotus F1 cars and a few other things

Must be good to have all that money pumping out of the ground.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here

Writer Guy,

The Monza is a 750 -- I have a photo and the serial number somewhere, but not handy.

Are you sure there was a 250 GTO? I don't know of one in Midland, and Jim Hall (or Troy Rogers) doesn't seem like the replica type.

I assume the Chaparral I is the car he doesn't consider a real Chaparral? They were T&Bs, but were still the start of the line.

Old Guy

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    you got me it is a 750 and the chap 1 is the one you are right.

The GTO is owned by a local doctor type. Or at least that is what i have been told.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    The Mclaren has some Tranny problems and they are waiting for a new one. but you have to love the fact that it has 30,000 miles on it

11. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

There are a couple GTO replicas in Texas. One was owned by John Bookhout, who has a reasonable collection of cars...especially older Maeratis. I don't know if he still has the replica or if its moved on.

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Bryan,

And Dr. Steve Earle, the Ferrari Challenge champion, has or had a 250 GTO replica in the San Antonio area. He'd fit the "doctor" description, but Midland is pretty far west in Texas. (I spent a brief time in Marfa and the Big Bend area. Beautiful area, but pretty far from everywhere.)

13. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I don't know if that is him but he is someone who I would like to feature in Texas Driver Magazine.... If you have suggestions on how to get in touch with him pm me if you could

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Thanks old guy he just emailed.....