Help: Removal of 308 GTS seats | FerrariChat

Help: Removal of 308 GTS seats

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Quasimotor, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    How do you remove the seats from a 308 GTS. An old thread said to remove the front 6mm allen nuts, then slide the seat forward and remove the rear nuts. Nope. The rear nuts do not expose themselves. It seems I have the seat as far forward as it will go. Am I doing something wrong? I wanna get the Leatherique working.

pegasus500 likes this.
  2. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    Quasi--

The bolts are there, you just don't have the seat forward far enough to gain access to them. It does take some force to get the seat far enough forward.

Roger B.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    That is the way I removed them from my '81 GTSi.
    Try to forward-tilt the seat to see if it gives a bit more room to access the Allen screw. Also the seat may be a little reluctant to go so far ahead. I would try to shove it forward with, some momentum, starting all the way from the back.

4. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Okay, Let me go back out there and give it a bigger shove. Stand by.

5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Sounds a bit crazy, but if you sit in the seat and use your body momentum to force it forward it may help. But I agree ... the bolts ARE there..but the seat HAS to be as far forward as it goes ... probably much farther forward than its ever been.... hence the stiffness.

Foxie likes this.
  6. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Yeah, baby. That worked! Now would someone please tell me how I get out of the car and how to get my testicles out from under my tie?

NYC Fred and Mike Morrissey like this.
  7. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You'll probably get no help with the balls-under-tie problem. Most of us ditch the tie during "work on the f-car" mode! :) j/k

lol!

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The only time I've ever called my car an "F" car was when I was trying to take the seats out!

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I believe that the 308 seat rails use 5mm allen head bolts, at least my '83 308QV did...

I would recommend that you go to your local "Tool Town" and pick up a 5mm allen head "socket drive". It makes it much easier to remove the bolts.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Well, it was close to, if not my 1st, but sure wasn't the last. Wait till you try to pull the alternator or A/C compressor. That'll be good practice. Then you'll have developed enough patience so you can exhaust it when by removing the oil pickup tube so you can pull the timing drive cover... I think it's down hill from there tho...

Altho, there's always trying to pull a head after 20 yrs of galvanic action between the studs & AL block!

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LOL - That's a new one to me.

Most of my firends have the problem of having their balls locked in their wife's purse.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Point well taken, Slag.

13. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    Taking out the driver seat to fit new carpet and a fire extinguisher, I couldn't expose the rear allen keys.

I did a search on here, and found the answer right away !

14. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Remove the two front Allen bolt first then slide the seat forward as far as you can to expose the two rear Allen bolt.

15. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    It was Delaney's tip ( 4th Feb 2004 ) to sit in the seat and use body weight to move the seat completely forward that worked !

16. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Lub the spring lock .It drys and won’t open enough to move the last few inches forward.

17. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    That worked for me in the past as well.

18. mario marrocco

Sep 5, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mario Marrocco
    I just replaced the fuse boxes on my 1978 Ferrari gts. I made certain that all circuits were functioning as designed. One of the circuits that I repaired was the reactivating of the fuel cutout switch, which had been bypassed. The pump worked fine, it did not function without a driver in the seat. The pump also worked when I bypassed the switch. I decided to go with the original Ferrari configuration. A couple of days later, the fuel pump does not appear to be getting any, with either the original configuration
    Or the switch bypass mode. I’ve remove the seat to check the wiring which seems functional. I’ve checked all functions supported. By the 8 amp fuse in position 3. Any ideas. I could use some support. Thanks.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why did you mess with something that was working?