2 new things... | FerrariChat

2 new things...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Feb 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I can't remember if I already mentioned this, so here it is anyway. The doorbell rang the other night, my wife answered, and came down to the basement to give me something. She had ordered me the DVDs for "Le Mans" and "Formula One's Greatest Cars". Out of the blue. God love her!

Second, and Andreas, you may want one of these, we went to this weird second-hand kind of gag toy store down the street from us on Sunday. While rummaging through the Elvis-everything and Scooby Doo lunchboxes, I came across a little treasure. They had about 6 books called "Driven" (sorry, not the movie), and it's all B&W F1 photos taken by Jesse Alexander in the 50s and 60s. The book normally retails for $35, and he was selling them for $7! Great book--I might just go buy the rest. Let me know if anyone's interested.

You can check it out at www.jessealexander.com

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gilles,

You are a lucky man, I would love to get hold of that Le Mans DVD ... guess I should just buy one. Currently I have a 3/4's tape that is missing the start ... :(

Also my wife has organised for my Father to come over from NZ and we are going to the Melbourne GP together ... along with a very close mate ... it will be like younger days ;)

Thus tickets are booked in the Fangio stand so Forza FERRARI !!!!

Pete

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack, if you could get me two copies of those books, that'd be great. One for me and one for a friend I'm still "educating" about F1...
    :)

Pete, you realize going to a GP and being on FChat carries a heavy responsibility with it: PICTURES!!!! Please!

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, that will be tricky as my digital camera only holds a few photos ... hmmm, will have to take the Pentax SLR and scan them after I guess.

Gee now I am nervous ;)

Pete

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unless your digital is really new, it is probably too slow to take pics of the racecars anyway. For F1 I still use my SLR and then take the film to a photo shop where they burn a CD. No prints.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I wonder how the new Cannon digital Rebel does with F1 cars??? I was looking at getting one of those.

Rob

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    One of my coworker has one and thinks it would work just fine. Reading from the specs it sounds like it could handle it. Shutter delay is down to about 0.2 seconds. It can shoot about 4 pics per second into its raw memory, then pauses to store them for good. So not bad.

I will have to get a better digital, my current one has only 3MB pixel resolution, which sucks if you want to do a slide show. I will hold off for price reasons until my next big trip, but my current contenders are:

- Nikon SLR D1
    - Canon Rebel
    - Sony

The new Sony has 8MB res, which is the best. Dunno what the shutter speed will be, but should be ok.

The Nikon has the advantage that I could reuse my lenses, but it is still expensive, does not have 8MB res and uses still a non 24x36mm chip, meaning, that even existing lenses would get cropped (not necessarily a disadvantage in sports photography where you like a longer lens).

So many choices, so I wait till the time is right.

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

I am hoping that the prices will also drop before the USGP myself before i decide to pick one up. I have seen recently a camera shop offering the Cannon Digital Rebel for $950. So hopefully with more big names into the Digital SLR market prices should hopefully drop in price.

Rob

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My hope is, that the Rebel forces Nikon to cut prices. Not sure that will happen though.

At any rate I would only buy the camera on ebay. Saves 200 bucks easily.